Dumb power stearing questions

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

k8icu
1SG
1SG

Dumb power stearing questions

Post by k8icu »

Ok, I've looked at the pictures and studied the set ups. I have one question when changing to power steering. How do you hook the horn up to work? The original horn goes through the gear box so how does one hook the horn up through the couplers?

Ok that's two questions... :)
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Dumb power stearing questions

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

k8icu wrote:Ok, I've looked at the pictures and studied the set ups. I have one question when changing to power steering. How do you hook the horn up to work? The original horn goes through the gear box so how does one hook the horn up through the couplers?

Ok that's two questions... :)
Not a stupid question, the answer is you don't. We use a remote mount horn switch on our conversions. Have mounted them at varoius locations on the dash.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Tom P
CPL
CPL

Post by Tom P »

Paul, has done what I think to be a nice job of retaining the stock horn button with power steering.
Click here to view his detailed instructions.

http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple/h ... ersteering

While there check out his complete album.
TGP
"47" WDX WW
"52" M37 WW
"54" Willys M38A1
"65" M35A1 WW
To Many Others
http://www.g741.org/photogallery/main.p ... temId=2019
Drew M.
CPL
CPL

Post by Drew M. »

This was covered a bit on the PW forum - over the last few days. There are a few methods with Paul's and the postal Jeep column swap being the most common.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

We've done it couple of times with column swaps & used the M715 Jeep truck set up as a pattern. Just about all our customers opt to go with the remote mount set up though. Eliminates problems ever occurring due to in the column issues, much cheaper to remote it also as it cuts way down on the time spent. We use a heavy duty waterproof switch with a large push knob that has a horn insignia. Paul's method is a nice way to go if you want to keep it on the wheel.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com