Another shakedown run...

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cal_Gary

Another shakedown run...

Post by Cal_Gary »

Added another 8 miles on Saturday. New problem for you experts to help solve: Gas gauge needle is all over the place-up, down, 1/2 full if you're an optimist, 1/2 empty if you're a pessimist. Anyway, the gauge, wiring, and sending unit are all new, and I suspect I may have installed the sender incorrectly. I installed it with the float arm pointing to the passenger side. With the gas sloshing everywhere, I wonder if the float arm should be pointing toward the front of the tank instead of the side? The old unit I removed had the float and arm missing, and I had no photo to use as a reference. Any thoughts you can offer would be most appreciated!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

JM 2 Cents

Post by m-37Bruce »

I'm think a wire has shorted out somewhere?
My float was to the the passenger side @ removal. (bit it did not work anyway)
My thoughts are a pinched wire, Charles might have a better idea?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
N1VSM
SSGT
SSGT

yet again beating a dead horse

Post by N1VSM »

Sounds like (drum roll, please) a bad ground at the sender or the gauge (or both). I had a similar problem that I initially fixed by running a temporary wire from the housing of the sender unit to the frame. (Yes, I did eventually do it "right".)

As for installation, isn't the top plate of the sender shaped like a "D"? If so, you'd have to try hard to get it in wrong. If not, me mind be muddled again!
You can trust your mother, but you can't trust your ground.
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

We pulled a dedicated ground wire and installed a new sender as part of the overhaul. Ours is twitchie when moving and can jump a 1/4 of a tank reading sometimes. We only had a small amount of fuel so I figured it was just sloshing.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks to all! My mount is perfectly round so it looks like I can position it in any direction. The wiring is all new and protected with Power Braid by Painless, so it likely needs a ground wire instead of relying on the unit to self-ground. I'll take a look-see and add the ground wire.
Thanks again,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500