Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

STEERING BOX CAPACITY

Post by HingsingM37 »

Hey Gang,
I don't see a capacity for the steering gear box on the lubrication order? What is it? Has anybody used other than gear oil in these?

Went out in my garage yesterday. Thermometer said 12 F. She fired right up :) I managed to hook up my xfer case/parking brake levers. That was it. I may need to invest in a torpedo heater. Fingers get cold quicker now :lol:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Ah Ha! Small world, isn't it? Just filled mine yesterday before the rain hit-took just over a pint. I recall VPW's catalog stating they use John Deere cornhead grease for gearboxes-can't comment otherwise since I've never tried it.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Corn head....

Post by Nickathome »

I used corn head grease in my steering box from advice of a guy from VPW. I can't say whether this was a good decision or bad. I've not had any problems, although there are other arguments against the idea that do make sense. Bottom line is I have the grease in there and I can't get it out so to compromise, I did put some gear oil into the mix. Corn head grease does mix with gear oil so I'm hoping with the two in there, I'm covered. I do know that gear oil alone will leak out, with the corn head it won't.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

The oil capacity is 12 ounces. Lubricant must flow to get to all areas that need lubrication, of course grease (corn picker head or otherwise) doesn't flow as a liquid lube will. You can be the judge of the better product to use here. We use 80/90 gear lube in all our rebuilt boxes, heavier such as 140 is ok in warm climates. We've found the 80/90 to be a good all temp lube. A gear box built correctly & in good condition will hold gear oil just fine without a leaking problem. If your steering gear box won't hold oil; face it, it's rebuild time. Not time to fill it with a improper lubricant.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

I'll weigh in on using grease. In the 80s I found a 62 P1800 Volvo in a barn. I love a challenge and this one hadn't run in over 15 years. After the fuel system, cooling system and brake work I got it running great. The steering box was leaking and I wanted to use it so I used Lubi-Plate (sp) lower unit grease for outboards. I put over 200K on that car and never had a problem with the box. I don't condone the use of the grease but in my case it worked well in my area 0* to 95*. But understand lower unit grease isn't like what comes out of a grease gun.
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Thanks for the help guys. I will be using the oil as my box is freshly re-sealed and should not have any leaks :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Corn Head Grease ;~P

Post by m-37Bruce »

A wise choice, Steve & Bubba don't know!
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
bubba_got_you
SGT
SGT

Re: Corn Head Grease ;~P

Post by bubba_got_you »

m-37Bruce wrote:A wise choice, Steve & Bubba don't know!
what dont i now? :?
May God grant me with the serenity to accept the things I cannot shoot, The ability to shoot the things I can and a place to hide the bodies
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Re: Corn Head Grease ;~P

Post by m-37Bruce »

bubba_got_you wrote:
m-37Bruce wrote:A wise choice, Steve & Bubba don't know!
what dont i now? :?
Present Bubba's excluded!! 8)

They's a Bubba that works for Dave Butler @ VPW, hes the Bubba Ima referrin' too.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA