Please confirm Diff torque value

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

DAP
SSGT
SSGT

Please confirm Diff torque value

Post by DAP »

For the M37 front and rear differentials I am looking at page 127 in the manual and paragraph 94 g. (2) says to torque the differential nut to 300 foot/lbs. This is the nut that preloads the carrier and is hidden once you bolt up the drive shaft. I have the original gears installed so plan to torque to 300. Does anybody know if this number is right or wrong in the book? Also if the cotter pin holes don't line up right how much higher or lower can I set the torque to? Thanks
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Please confirm Diff torque value

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

DAP wrote:For the M37 front and rear differentials I am looking at page 127 in the manual and paragraph 94 g. (2) says to torque the differential nut to 300 foot/lbs. This is the nut that preloads the carrier and is hidden once you bolt up the drive shaft. I have the original gears installed so plan to torque to 300. Does anybody know if this number is right or wrong in the book? Also if the cotter pin holes don't line up right how much higher or lower can I set the torque to? Thanks
300Ft. lbs. is correct for the pinion nut if using the original gear set. This nut simply holds everything in place, pinion bearing preload is set by using the correct 1 of 8 different thickness preload spacers to come up with the right preload torque value. this must be done with front & rear bearings only in contact with their cups. The center bearing must not contact its cup during the preload set up process. Plus or minus whatever it takes to line up the hole with the castle nut is ok. Plus is preferable if possible. You mentioned carrier bearing preload, that is something totally different & must be accomplished from inside.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
DAP
SSGT
SSGT

I wasn't clear

Post by DAP »

You are right. All I actually did was pull the cotter, nut, and yoke flange. Then pulled out the seal. I installed a new neoprene (rubber??) seal not leather and also redi sleaved the yoke to have a better sealing surface. Then I put it all back together and wanted to make sure I had the correct torque. I thought I remember you saying the torque value was different for the 4.89 gears but then couldn't remember if it was 4.89 or the 5.83 gears so wanted to make sure. Thank you.