Exhuast valve seats.

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

244ENBN
PVT
PVT

Exhuast valve seats.

Post by 244ENBN »

Are the original exhuast valve seats hard enough for modern gasoline? The valve seats in my engine are in great shape I just want to know if they are going to continue being OK. Also the engine and clutch manual refers to a valve seat removal tool which I'm sure has not been available for a long time. I was considering useing my TIG welder to run a small bead around the seat which would shrink the seat enough to remove it. I had another guy tell me that they are brittle enough to hit with a chisel and break out. I don't think that's a good method becuase you risk screwing up the counter bore. Do any of you have successful mothods for removing these seats? Thanks in advance.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I have no guidance regarding removal of the valve seats, but recommend a lead additive if you do any distance driving.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

The original valve seats are hardened, but not to the likes of today's seat designed for use with unleaded fuel. Any engine machine shop will be equipped with a suitable puller to remove them. HI NICKEL seats work well with unleaded fuel & are available for the 230 engine. No additives necessary after installing them.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
244ENBN
PVT
PVT

Valve seats

Post by 244ENBN »

Thanks for the very helpful info guys.