winter storage tips and advice

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

winter storage tips and advice

Post by monkeymissile »

Unfortunately my truck is going to have to sit out (covered) again this winter. Any tips for doing so with regards to it's fluids? Truck is in NH so it'll get plenty cold. Thanks.
1953 Dodge M43

Fail often to succeed sooner
Tom @ Snake River
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tom @ Snake River »

Make sure that the batteries are clean and disconnect a terminal if it is going to sit awhile.
It might be good to circulate some gasoline stableizer through the system.
Gas tanks are better off to the full side.

Do as I say, not as I do :wink:
www.snakeriver4x4.com
M-37's - WC-51 - M-29C - WC-25 cc - CCKW
M-274 - M-101 - G-527 Water Buffalo
G-7117 Chevy
monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

Post by monkeymissile »

Tom,
thanks, I will take out both batteries and run some stabilizer through. I guess my main concern is the coolant; I'd hate to risk cracking the block. Last winter it did fine with several gallons of coolant drained from it. I have a circulating block heater, but haven't installed it. I may not have time either.[/i]
1953 Dodge M43

Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Coolant shouldn't be a big problem unless it gets really cold. All the stuff on the market nowadays is good to at least -40 degrees when mixed 50/50 with water. If you have temps below that for extended periods of time, the circulating block heater should be able to handle the chore.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Coolant shouldn't be a big problem unless it gets really cold. All the stuff on the market nowadays is good to at least -40 degrees when mixed 50/50 with water. If you have temps below that for extended periods of time, the circulating block heater should be able to handle the chore.

With regard to the heater, make sure it's plumbed so that it circulates through the radiator and heater core (if you have one). That way those parts are protected, as well.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

Post by monkeymissile »

Lifer wrote:Coolant shouldn't be a big problem unless it gets really cold. All the stuff on the market nowadays is good to at least -40 degrees when mixed 50/50 with water. If you have temps below that for extended periods of time, the circulating block heater should be able to handle the chore.
-40 is not likely, it's southern NH so maybe 10 or 15 below overnight, but not for an extended time (now watch us have a record cold snap!).
Thanks, I think I should be all set.
1953 Dodge M43

VROD02
PFC
PFC

Post by VROD02 »

If its got a desent paint job look out for tarp chaffing. One of my trucks got buffed to bare metal on the hood in two places. :oops:
monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

Post by monkeymissile »

VROD02 wrote:If its got a desent paint job look out for tarp chaffing. One of my trucks got buffed to bare metal on the hood in two places. :oops:
Wow, must be pretty windy where you are! Fortunately it's due for a repainting anyway, but I usually put something between the tarp and truck, like an old carpet. Thanks.
1953 Dodge M43

refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

Take care that the carpet doesn't hold moisture against the paint....
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

Post by monkeymissile »

refit1701 wrote:Take care that the carpet doesn't hold moisture against the paint....
Will do. Actually it isn't a regular tarp; I have it under one of those cheap steel tube tents. Part of it collapsed last winter when I couldn't get the snow off in time, but I plan to rig something up to keep the tarp off the truck. We're rebuilding the shed that will be it's permanent home, but that won't be finished until late summer.
1953 Dodge M43

Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Post by Nickathome »

monkeymissile wrote:
refit1701 wrote:Take care that the carpet doesn't hold moisture against the paint....
Will do. Actually it isn't a regular tarp; I have it under one of those cheap steel tube tents. Part of it collapsed last winter when I couldn't get the snow off in time, but I plan to rig something up to keep the tarp off the truck. We're rebuilding the shed that will be it's permanent home, but that won't be finished until late summer.
Does the tube tent thing have walls? If not you can make decent walls out of one of those blue tarps and a grommet kit. I made some for the portable garage top that I used to paint my truck in and it worked pretty well.
monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

Post by monkeymissile »

Nickathome wrote:
monkeymissile wrote:
Does the tube tent thing have walls? If not you can make decent walls out of one of those blue tarps and a grommet kit. I made some for the portable garage top that I used to paint my truck in and it worked pretty well.
yes, I got the one with walls and zippered ends. I was doing a good job of keeping up with the snow when I missed it one weekend after a big storm. Then it rained and that tubing snapped like dry pasta. What a pain. I can't wait for a dry space with a smooth concrete floor!
1953 Dodge M43

Tom @ Snake River
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tom @ Snake River »

You would be bettter off leaving the cooant system full of a good aniti-freeze mix.
In the last several years and even yesterday was have looked at the old honeycomb radiators where before the advent of anti-freeze, the old boys would pour in water and then hopefully drain it out before freezing weather.
My wife had a 27 Chev radiator that was damaged beyond repair, but then we were looking at a 46 Dodge 2WD with a honeycomb that looked fairly decent.
However you do not know untill a radiator shop pressureizes it and checks it out.
www.snakeriver4x4.com
M-37's - WC-51 - M-29C - WC-25 cc - CCKW
M-274 - M-101 - G-527 Water Buffalo
G-7117 Chevy
uglyranger
PFC
PFC

Post by uglyranger »

The government says there is a "global warming", so there is no need to worry about freezing this winter.
DJ
SSGT
SSGT

Post by DJ »

Fill it with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze mixture and it will be fine. If it gets cold enough for that mixture to freeze enough to do damage you will want to head south . Your heat bill will be so high you'll have to burn the tires and seats to survive.

DJ