Random Thoughts

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Joe L
PVT
PVT

Random Thoughts

Post by Joe L »

First of all, thanks to all you that ask and answer questions on this forum. I sincerely hope that someday someone will ask a question that will require my low level of expertise. Until that time, I am mighty gratefull to you all.
Second, I am lucky enough to work for a company that keeps expanding, no easy task here in the rustbelt, and as a result in the last few months I've hired five field service technicians. Of the five, four are under 25. One came right out of the Navy and the other three from trade schools. They are all great kids. hard working, knowledgeable, respectfull, all round good kids. We've worked a ton of hours because of the storms and they have not uttered one complaint. Just wanted to share that because I think sometimes we get a little cynical on the next generation.
Last Father's Day Otterbein College awarded my daughter Caitlin her BA. Sadly, it was posthumous. My Caitlin was killed/murdered two years ago.But there were 753 kids in that class and I had the opportunity to shake hands/hug just about all of them, and again, all great kids. And another lesson from that-not all colleges are just about the money.
If you want to hear about a 25 year old that's also a hero, google Mike Monsoor-a Navy Seal that was awarded the Medal of Honor. I can't remember if its John 13:15 or John 15:13 but Mike sure was an example of 'no greater love'.
He's not a kid, but he's only 47, google 'The Last Lecture". This guy is a hero too. If you have the chance watch the you-tube of his lecture. Again, not a kid, but he taught kids. And I think we might get a little cynical about College Profs as well.
That's all, thanks.
Remember-your equipment is provided by the lowest bidder.
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Random response

Post by HingsingM37 »

Joe,

Thanks for your post. You will answer a question soon I am sure.

Thanks for the news about your co-workers. Good to hear. I hear it all the time from my customers about kids not wanting to work. Hard work ethics are hard to find. We have a store in Warren and its does well given the "rustbelt".

My condolences in regards to your daughter. Very nice of the College. I am sure she is smiling down on you.

I read Mike Monsoor's story. As Ronald Regan said during his D-day commemoration speech "Where did we find men like these?" I love that line. I used it in my fathers eulogy. I ask that evertime I hear of men like Mike. It brings tears to my eyes to think that some despairage our military.

I caught the last lecture also. Very inspiring.

Thanks for quoting John. I do not have my book here and do not recall 13:15 or 15:13. Enjoy quoting scripture before the ACLU puts an end to it.

I am also in Ohio close by. Shoot me a p/m if you ever need parts or advice. :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
nivek
CPL
CPL

Thanks for being there Joe...

Post by nivek »

Been finding over years of hiring and firing more than my fair share of idiots, druggies, fools, and just plain_lazy_good_for_little_but_sucking_air punks that there are a damned decent amount of "Good Kids".

Some of them look like a tattoo factory bust out all over them. More than a few are shy and yet to experience the harsh BS of OJT. Others are just catching the upcurve in life, finding that all they learned IS "kinda-sorta" useful in real life.

Most of these "kids" need an employer who will show them the "Way".

"Here kid, this is how ya do this chore so it is done right, on time, and makes Boss happy, and the Inspectors pleased.."

Suspect the kids in your Shop are those kind that once connected to someone who Gives A Damn about them, treats them as human, and gives them opportunity, will be the sort of Men (and Women) that you'll want around.

We make a lotta mistakes. One I've made is to forget that "those rotten punk kids" are going to all too soon be my replacements.

It is up to me to help ensure they get the right training, right info, right work and jobs, and then as well paid as I can squeeze out of that job..

I'm proud of any man who dares be an employer in these strange economic times..

Someday one of those young cats will be the *Old Man*, long after you are retired, or even gone.

Hope that he or she will remember the Mean Old Sonsabitch that rode them hard, required they learn, and do things Right. And in turn smile as they bellow orders to the new kids on job..

I cannot fathom the loss of your child. My condolences for what they are worth, and hope her murderer(s) suffer harshly for their actions.

kevinL
'52 M-37 "Old Blue" still in 11enty-bazillion parts
'52 M-37 "Rusty Red" parted