PTO Gaskets...reusable

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

steved
CPL
CPL

PTO Gaskets...reusable

Post by steved »

Is there any known source for the six-bolt PTO cover bolts in a reusable rubber? I have an application that requires pulling the covers every so often for inspection...
DaveO
PFC
PFC

Post by DaveO »

You could cut your own out of an appropriate thickness of buna-n (nitrile) rubber sheet stock. Nitrile is very resistant to petroleum i.e. won't swell or break down. McMaster-Carr carries sheet stock for a pretty decent price online.

Lightly coat the PTO blanking plate mating surface with grease, lay it on a sheet of rubber, then remove it. You can now see where you need to cut and punch the holes.

The other thing I do is scan an NOS gasket into the computer. I test print it to make sure that I don't need to adjust the reproduction size (increase or decrease the percentage). Now I have a set of electronic masters. When I need one, I can print a template. In some cases (hub gaskets) I just print it on cardstock, cut it out, and install.

Personally, I try to avoid reusing gaskets. Once they are torqued into place they tend to develop a memory. If you don't get it back in the exact spot, you run the risk of gasket failure.

My .02...

Dave
Dave Ostlund
1941 WC9
1952 M37 W/W
1953 M38A1
M116
RTFB
BILL L
SGT
SGT

Post by BILL L »

Remember you set gear contact/backlash by adding and removing gaskets so one rubber gasket may not work or be your best choice. Something to think about.
steved
CPL
CPL

Post by steved »

All I need them to do is to hold PTO coolers and the covers on the PTO locations...

I was hoping someone had a source for rubber-over-steel PTO cover gaskets.