Dodge slant 6 over flathead 6 ????

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

1953M-37
PFC
PFC

Re: Dodge slant 6 over flathead 6 ????

Post by 1953M-37 »

My uncle is a professional mechanic. He has been doing mechanics since he was a young man and works with a great machinist. My uncle and I have spoke about rebuilding the motor. Today, I did somethings to get it closer to running. More work ahead, but I am feeling good about this truck. Miles
1953 M-37 Dodge Power Wagon Marine Corps.
2004 Dodge Rumble Bee
Remember, Its always better to be judged by 12, than being carried by six.
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

MSeriesRebuild wrote: The use of the Canadian radiator design will gain 1.250" in length for you, but that will interchange onto a US model and have exactly the same space gain.
Gotta' love that contradictory information...

If you park both stock trucks side by side (CDN vs. US) my CDN engine bay is bigger, plain and simple; how you can make the argument that they are the same size when they are not is simply ridiculous. Sure the parts will interchange, but my CDN truck will be stock, and your US truck will be modified (with foreign country parts) to achieve the same results.

My appologies for being incorrect on the length by 1/4" - but thats the only mistake Charles. If you measure the engine bay from fire wall to rad, you'll discover that the engine bay is 1-1/4" inches longer in the Cdn. models over the US ones. You can nit-pick all you want, but the tape measure dosen't lie. Thanks for pointing out that you can swap the CDN specific parts into a US spec model to achieve the same thing. But, if you start with a CDN model, its fewer parts to look for. As there where fewer CDN M37's built overall it is becoming more difficult to find specific parts from them.
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Master Yota wrote:
MSeriesRebuild wrote: The use of the Canadian radiator design will gain 1.250" in length for you, but that will interchange onto a US model and have exactly the same space gain.
My appologies for being incorrect on the length by 1/4" - but thats the only mistake Charles. If you measure the engine bay from fire wall to rad, you'll discover that the engine bay is 1-1/4" inches longer in the Cdn. models over the US ones. You can nit-pick all you want, but the tape measure dosen't lie. Thanks for pointing out that you can swap the CDN specific parts into a US spec model to achieve the same thing. But, if you start with a CDN model, its fewer parts to look for. As there where fewer CDN M37's built overall it is becoming more difficult to find specific parts from them.
You would be ahead in your game to read more carefully. I discovered the extra 1.250" difference on Canadian trucks years ago, AS I NOTED IN MY ORIGINAL POST. That is just exactly what I said, it is 1.250" longer when assembled because of the forward shift of the Canadian radiator, no nit-picking intended, just trying to avoid confusion for anyone not familiar with Canadian model differences, as the frame rails, and cross members are in identical locations on either model.

Didn't say Canadian specific components had to be swapped in either. If you re-read carefully, I said to use the Canadian radiator DESIGN, which shifts the core forward by 1.250" giving that much gain for additional engine length if needed. All that is required to accomplish that is to remove the radiator supports from a US radiator and shift them back on the radiator frame a distance of 1.250" which will put the radiator forward distance right where it is on a Canadian model. Takes very little time, a very simple mod using the original radiator from a US truck. Time spent scavenging parts from a Canadian truck; 0. If you need this mod, and have access to a Canadian radiator, great, use it. If you have only the US radiator, also great, do the simple mod and use it; you can even squeak out slightly more forward core shift by doing the mod on a US radiator.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com