Radiator Question

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

tbone1004
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Radiator Question

Post by tbone1004 »

he said it was a universal fit that just happened to fit within the dimensions of the M. I don't know of any aftermarkets made. You can call VPW and they have reconditioned radiators and recored radiators, but they start at $450
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Brett »

PVT
PVT

Post by 002 »

Sweet. Can't get any better then that. Thanks for your help. I will give them a call.
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

002 wrote:Sweet. Can't get any better then that. Thanks for your help. I will give them a call.
Stock would be the best. aluminum has its limitations. and the shear volume of the stock radiator is a big plus is you spring a leak far from a water/repair source. brass and copper lasts longer too.
PVT
PVT

Post by 002 »

OK Kaegi, I'll bite. As stated before I'm a newbie, what have been others experiences with stock radiator with a V8 conversion.

Although I'm not yet sure the exact final configuration of my mill: I currently have a 360 block at the machine shop. It will either be .030 over stock bore with mild cam, roller rockers, alum intake and 4 barrel OR Stroked to a 408 .030 torque ground cam, roller rockers, alum intake 4 barrel and MSD ignition. They have confirmed the block is good and are running up prices on each build.

I would be very interested in hearing from other V8 drivers and their experiances with a stock radiator. As stated before because the one that came with my truck is not correct I have no radiator, so I'm buying something from somewhere. I do like the idea of added fluid capacity, but very concerned that a radiator designed to cool 100 HP can do the job I need.

Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

002. that radiator can cool 3 engines with the volume of water and the 3.125 inch thick core. the tubes are simliar to a newer performance design offered in modern custom radiators. My first WC54 had a v8 and i was 20 and my shoe was full of lead. I wheeled that thing to death in the summers in hot weather on trails and it never even broke a sweat. the stock set up is basically an industrial duty design. way over built. the stock flathead fan has a small pulley so the fan speed is very high compared to a car. so if you go mechanical fan run a small pulley for superior offroad cooling or go electric fan.
PVT
PVT

Post by 002 »

Very Interesting.
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Post by jimmy_stikx »

Interesting indeed, Wondering now if it'll be enough rad for the 6.2 diesel I'm looking to drop in mine in the spring.
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

should be enough for the diesel. they dont run that hot they jsut vibrate alot. ;/) its a huge radiator. just compare it to the stock diesel radiator and about the same or possibly bigger depending on year of GM your getting it from.