Best Tail Lights for M37

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Best Tail Lights for M37

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

w30bob, you took away the intended message. Never a good idea to push one's luck on today's highways from a safety standpoint; this certainly would include lighting.

The composite lights you have pictured are the most logical choice for upgrading while staying correct militarily speaking. The full red lens or gama goat lights are not the best choice in my opinion. The whole lens assembly is plastic, and while the red lens itself holds up fine the green portion tends to crack in short order if the truck stays outside much. Has happened on my truck with numerous lens changes, so this choice is not the better one.

The ones you have pictured are all metal except for the lens. They hold up great. That style is also available with an all plastic housing. The newer LED lights are great except for most have a plastic housing. Cracking doesn't seem a real issue with either unless physical damage occurs; but they are more susceptible to damage than the all metal housing for sure. The LED is of course more costly, so it boils down to how much you want to spend; the non LED composites are a good bit less cost and work very well. Be careful if you are buying take-off lights instead of new; you can get burned easily if you don't know what is under that lens.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
ferroequinologist

Re: Best Tail Lights for M37

Post by ferroequinologist »

The M37 I just bought from a county had the Gama goat lenses on it already. As the housing and the green part around the lense are painted the same OD color, I would assume that the lenses were put on many many years ago, quite possibly by the military prior to the transfer to the county's Civil Defense force. They look great and have no cracking, even with it being outside for 20+ years. Might be an older more durible type of plastic.

I parked the M37 next to the B1 at night recently, boy those full size red lenses make a world of difference! I would love to find a set of amber ones for the front.

I have a pile of the teardrop style lights, as I've converted almost everything else to LED, for greater vis and duel voltage (Have some trailers I pull with my pickup or MV, and civy semi or MV semi)