Dodge slant 6 over flathead 6 ????

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Josh
SFC
SFC

Re: Dodge slant 6 over flathead 6 ????

Post by Josh »

I think you should do what makes you happy with the truck... Its your truck. If you want an OEM restoration, there's nothing wrong with that, but the original questioning of this thread was much different. If the truck isnt what you want, you'll hate working on it. There are plenty of M37s out there, and several better than new restorations. If thats what you want, more power to you, but dont feel pressured into doing it by anyone. The truck is yours, not theirs. I know some on here disapprove of my truck due to my modifications and paint color, but, its my truck, not theres. I did what makes me happy.
1953M-37
PFC
PFC

Post by 1953M-37 »

What would make my happy is a stock solid running truck that I can take anywhere . When I was a kid [a long time ago] Us kids in the neighborhood would play Army and looked for the old war jackets in the Goodwill stores. I wanted to go in and did the ROTC but they would not take me. [Bad foot] . I like the old truck alot. It is like a good beer it helps me take my problems away when I'm doing something to or for the M-37. [P.S. I don't drink....] I want the truck to be reliable and solid. I'm one who will be driving my M-37 alot I do not belive in trophies..... Miles.....
1953 M-37 Dodge Power Wagon Marine Corps.
2004 Dodge Rumble Bee
Remember, Its always better to be judged by 12, than being carried by six.
topellis
CPL
CPL

Post by topellis »

Miles, big decisions. So far with mine, I have kept it pretty much stock. I did put the disc brakes on the front and put the electronic piece in the distributor. Most original parts are still around and available. With others converting to other engines it frees up parts to others who need them. It may be worth considering to just keep it pretty much stock and repair what you have. There are usually CD's of the complete manuals for these trucks and if you are a good wrench with the book reference material you may be better to keep it stock. I am still contemplating the diesel but just don't have the bucks and won't any time real soon. So I drive mine with what I got. Lots of folks here on the forum can give good gouge on fixing pretty much anything. Just have fun with it and drive it. Depending on where you are, they usually get a fair amount of attention on the road.

I noticed that on your signature you put that your truck was a Marine Corp. Truck. I am sometimes called a jackass for pointing something like this out but it is spelled Marine Corps I was there, got the T-shirt. lol

Good luck,

Mark
Mark Ellis
1953 M37 WOW
1967 M101A1
NRA Life Member
USMC Retired
1953M-37
PFC
PFC

Post by 1953M-37 »

I'm a bad speller. I ask my wife all the time for works and I hate typing...... Miles
2004 Dodge Rumble Bee
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Josh and Cuz, are generally bang on in their advice. Here's my 0.02 cents, and feel free to take it or leave, or whatever.

If you're planning on a daily driver that see's alot of stop and go traffic, or highway speeds - ditch the flat head for anything else. Now, my experiece is based on the Cdn. M37, which has a larger engine bay (1.5" longer). A small block v8 will fit without cutting up the engine or frame (I've owned two with sbc's) and even some big blocks will fit (my current M37 has a punched out Ford 428 under the hood - with no critical sheet metal cutting). My first M37 recieved a GM 305 and SM465 4spd and the rest of the drive line was stock. The 305 didn't make a whole lot more torque than than the 251ci 6 that it replaced, but the extra rpm band made the truck enjoyable to drive. The 5.83's in the diffs were fun, and the tcase gave me no issues, other than to check it more often to ensure it was topped off with oil. Any 60 year old truck, no matter the direction of the build, will give you some issues at some point. Do the maintenance that it needs, and drive it accordingly.

The factory axles will handle moderate V8 power if applied with some common sense. Larger tires (1100:16's) would slow down the rpm of the driveline while still allowing for highway cruising - this also slows down how fast the tcase turns thus making it run cooler. A pair of locking hubs on the front will reduce driveline strain, excessive wear and improve mileage (somewhat). The only caveat to doing an engine swap is that the next job to do is a brake job, and anything related to the steering system. Although there is no rule that says you can't drive at 40mph with a V8...

In the end however, its your truck, you will smile at what you learn, cry at what you didn't know, bleed, curse, swear, and ignore it all at some point. But the oportunity here is to build something with your own hands, and enjoy it. There are plenty of M37s in museums, so build the truck you want, an engine swap is nothing to be concerned over. They sky is the limit as anything can be swapped if your willing to do the work, and problem solving; Josh proved that with the last engine he had prior to the diesel.
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
1953M-37
PFC
PFC

Post by 1953M-37 »

Yota thank you for your in put. I think my plan is to get the truck up and running stock and go from there. For me to drive the M-37 I need to fix the wiring ,two more tires , two 12 volt batterys , turn signals , clean gas tank , Replace the glass for the windshield Both , Drivers window , Back glass , and get registeration & plates [California].....Wish me luck......Miles
2004 Dodge Rumble Bee
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

That seems like a good plan Miles - considering your location an engine swap may be more legally challenging than physically challenging. As I don't live in California, I'm simply guessing on that point. However, if the flat head does indeed run well, then there is no harm in leaving it there to play with it as you get the opportunity. Your driving style will be the most determining factor in wether or not it stays under the hood or not.
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
1953M-37
PFC
PFC

Post by 1953M-37 »

I have a 1930 Ford 5 window coupe with a 289 for my driving style and the M-37 for my old man driving style....I'm going to get it for this one.... Miles.....
Last edited by 1953M-37 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Dodge Rumble Bee
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

1953M-37 wrote:I have a 1930 Ford 5 window coupe with a 289 for my driving style and the M-37 for my old man driving style... Miles.....
I can relate to that - I grew up in the back seat of a '31 Model A slant window town sedan that would pull 11.1 in the quarter mile - and tow a 20' holiday trailer! The car is still sitting in the garage, just patiently waiting... We also had a '30 Ford 5 window coupe with a 289. It was eventually swapped out for a 327. It was a shame, the car was finished, and the interior was sitting on the floor when the shop burned down. Total loss. But, whats left is sitting in the backyard awaiting restoration once again. It'll get into the shop after the '36 Buick three window coupe project comes out when Dads finished with it... Too many projects, and not enough time or money. :lol:
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
1953M-37
PFC
PFC

Post by 1953M-37 »

Yah I got to many projects 1962 Nova , 1930 Ford coupe , 1955 Ford F-100 [Wifes truck ] , 1953 M-37 [My truck] , 1970 Ford trino [sons car ] , 1964 Harley - Davidson Fl [Police bike Mexico ], 2000 Panhead chopper. and a 1929 Ford Cabriolet body....... To many irons in the fire and not enough money.... Story of my life but I love my cars & trucks........Miles.....
2004 Dodge Rumble Bee
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

I hear you - I've got a '52 Chevy Style-side Deluxe sitting under my sun deck thats impatiently waiting for me to get to it. That, combined with keeping my offroad rigs happy ('93 FZJ80 Land Cruiser, '91 Toyota truck, '53 M37) my boat (1937 15' Bellboy) plus a tow rig ('81 Chevy 3500 3+3 4x4) and a camper all do their utmost to keep me broke. I wish I could complain about having nothing to do. Instead all I can complain about is having no money to do anything... :mrgreen:
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
1953M-37
PFC
PFC

Post by 1953M-37 »

I traded my 1953 M38A1 [Willys Jeep ] for the 1953 Dodge M-37. The Jeep was a driver with tags and that is what I want to do with the M-37. I miss my Jeep but I wanted a Power Wagon for a long time. My Dodge M-37 looks like it went to war and back but I like it a lot and I think I'll have it till I pass on. I plan to drive it on the street more than the freeway. Thats the way I drove the jeep at 45. The quickest I drove the Jeep was 55 and that was for two exits on the freeway. Poor little guy was not happy.. I like to drive my cars not break them. Wish me luck to save a M-37........Miles....
2004 Dodge Rumble Bee
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Just scanning over this thread, I saw lots of varying opinions, I thought some great, some good, some not so much.

I did however see one error; the engine bay on a Canadian M37 is not larger or longer than on the US model. That is totally false, it is exactly the same on every one of either model we have dealt with. The only difference in relation to that is the fact that the front engine mount for the 230 is attached by bolts to 2 angled brackets that are riveted to the back side of the front frame cross member on the US models. On the Canadian models, the mounts are bolted through holes with weld nuts attached that are exactly 2" farther forward and on top of the front frame cross member. The "L" angled brackets are still on the Canadian trucks the same as the US models, but aren't used. The US trucks have the flat bosses on the cross member where the 251 mounts, but holes are not drilled and weld nuts not attached.

The 251 engine used in the Canadian trucks have a 2" longer block length than the 230 that was used in the US models. The radiator side brackets on the Canadian trucks are repositioned so that the radiator core moves 1.250" farther forward than on US models to accomadate a different water pump and cooling fan design that was used on some, but not all 251 engines.

The point I'm making in this explanation is this; no matter what engine you choose to install, you will be dealing with exactly the same issues for installing it. The fact of using a Canadian or US M37 chassis will make absolutely no difference at all; so if you are thinking a swap could be easier if you acquire a Canadian chassis with a supposidly larger engine bay, well don't waste your time, that just isn't true. The use of the Canadian radiator design will gain 1.250" in length for you, but that will interchange onto a US model and have exactly the same space gain.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
1953M-37
PFC
PFC

Post by 1953M-37 »

Charles
Do you think the stock 230 would be good for going around town and some fire road driving ? My uncle [all most 70 years old ] said this 230 is a pice of cake to rebuild and not much money to do so. I want something I can get parts for easy and a solid driver.
2004 Dodge Rumble Bee
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

1953M-37 wrote:Charles
Do you think the stock 230 would be good for going around town and some fire road driving ? My uncle [all most 70 years old ] said this 230 is a pice of cake to rebuild and not much money to do so. I want something I can get parts for easy and a solid driver.
That would simply depend on what you would like in the end product. For around town and trail driving, it works fine if you don't desire more.

I wouldn't consider any rebuild a piece of cake to accomplish. While some are easier than others, all require careful attention if it's done right to get the best outcome. Parts are no problem now, but nobody has any idea how long that may be the case. The idea that it doesn't take much money to rebuild one; well if you do it right, it won't be for cheap. On that one, I kind of feel like your uncle may want to check up and get into the real world. If he hasn't built one lately, like many others, the cost these days for a premium quality build will most likely knock his socks off.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com