M37 and PW parts needed

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Re: M37 and PW parts needed

Post by SOTVEN »

IF YOU NEED THE PARTS SENT ME A PM. I AM A US CITIZEN AND US RESIDENT. UNLESS YOU HAVE ORDERED AN A/A GUN TO MOUNT ON THE BED, THERE SHOULD BE NO PROBLEM.
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

There is no reason to knock anyone for trying to obey the law (justified or not). The least common courtesy though would be to use the law as an excuse to not sell parts to us Canadians, and explain that as it happens. To simply state that he dosen't sell to Canadians, and leave it at that, borders on racism in my eye's.
As for exporting military parts needing a license or permit, or whatever; I've purchases a few items from members of this board already, and it was as simple as sending the cash, and the part going in the mail. Simple as that. The Feds don't really care about two steel tcase rods. Its not like its plans or parts to an a-bomb. They could be John Deere parts or parts for a Civilian power wagon for all the feds know, or care. Same goes for Ebay, Craigs List, Kijiji, and whatever other for sale boards are out there.

I have family in the US, do you really think that if cousin Ron shops at the local surplus store for my birthday present, and then sends it to me, that the men in black are going to show up at his door and hustle him off to Guantanimo for some water boarding treatment? Ya'll need to give your head a shake, turn off CNN and re-join the real world. If your Government is truly capable of that type of behavior then your definition of freedom needs an update. I know for a fact it would be a cold day in hell for any of the FBI or CIA or any other clandestine organizations that showed up on my Canadian door step looking to retrieve some tcase rods, or shifter boots or whatever else from my M37.

This topic has the potential to get a little crazy from here on out, so I'll try to limit my response to this one. I've removed AB Lynn from my list of vendors, so I won't need to worry about dealing with this individual. One good thing to come from this topic is that that I won't suffer a headache finding this out later. So from us other Canucks, thanks.

Ray
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
Tom @ Snake River
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tom @ Snake River »

I visited AB last spring and he did seem and little crusty and frumpy.
Everything in his inventory was purchased from the Govt. he has nothing reproduced that I can tell.
www.snakeriver4x4.com
M-37's - WC-51 - M-29C - WC-25 cc - CCKW
M-274 - M-101 - G-527 Water Buffalo
G-7117 Chevy
topellis
CPL
CPL

Post by topellis »

I recently had to undergo export training associated with my job and although the M37 is/has not been current issue in some time, there could still be laws that would technically prevent it from being legal. Even if it is dual purpose, both mil and civ it can be export restricted. Big consideration with him would be where he got the parts from. From a cover your behind stance, I think he did what he felt was right, possibly a little conservative and could have explained it better but he is the guy with the parts. I have dealt with him a number of times in years past and he has always been fair to me. If he knows he can't legally do it, good on him and he has nothing hanging over his head to come back and haunt him later. As to others shipping accross borders and haveing no problems with it... I would assume some have export liscenses and others are lucky that something hasn't been caught. Odds are you wouldn't get caught but it would be a big deal.... that time you do. You take your chances... you assume some risk.

Mark
Mark Ellis
1953 M37 WOW
1967 M101A1
NRA Life Member
USMC Retired
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

AB Linn is as honest and straight forward as they come. Most know he has a moody side, I won't deny that. I'll also say that WHATEVER he tells you is 100% straight up, you will get no part from AB that has been misrepresented in any way. If he tells you it's a little rusty, it will look better than his description when you get it is typical. AB selling cheaper than anyone is also typical, he has very low overhead, and is careful how he ships and very particular about guidelines and issues which can harm his trade practices. Long story short, he would rather miss a sale than take chances with any type of issues arising. He knows the law and abides by it. You and others who don't know him as well may just think he is being contrary, and that's ok with AB, I'll assure you. He is not a man that moves off of his principles. I have no idea why you had the experience that you did with him, but I'd bet he has a legitimate reason for doing what he did. He is not the type to go into grave detail about all his decisions, and maybe that isn't always good or the right reaction in every case. Some venders will do anything for the almighty dollar, AB is too honest and upstanding to let a dollar ruin him. I've known him to toss loads of stuff in the scrap metal dumpster because he found some defective pieces and did not want to run the risk of selling a part that would cause a failure or a problem in any way. I would say the best thing for all concerned is to just drop this issue and move on as AB will not be budging off of his principles. If he were to find out that someone was buying for you from him as a middle man after he declined the transaction for what ever reason, that would not be good for that middle man, as he would never be able to purchase another piece of anything from AB Linn. Knowing when to just walk away will take you far in life sometimes. I hope you can shift the offense you have taken on this issue to the side and realize this is 1 of those times.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Glenn
CPL
CPL

Post by Glenn »

Tom @ Snake River wrote:I visited AB last spring and he did seem and little crusty and frumpy.
Everything in his inventory was purchased from the Govt. he has nothing reproduced that I can tell.
AB can be and generally is short in his e-mail responses, on the phone I talked with him for over an hour and could have gone on for several probably, that was a few years ago however. I'd say all his stuff is surplus for sure, other than the normal brake parts, plug wires, ignition parts, etc. His listings do say U.S. residents only.