Dodge V6 engine swap

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

poor rich
CPL
CPL

gas to the fire

Post by poor rich »

This is a subject that comes up from time to time, and one I did some research on.
Most "modern" V6 do produce more horsepower and more torque than the 230 did new, and with the gearing in the truck will pull it, and a load around just fine, up hill and down!
As a bonus they don't need to be rebuilt every 10K miles .
there are some down sides.
As with all engine replacements you loose deep water fording, 12 volts means replacing gages, butchering wiring harnesses, ect.
Lets not forget " modern" engines have electronics, and fuel injection that have to be adapted to the truck. If you remove the fuel injection and go with a carb you loose your "modern" engine, along with the torque and horsepower that goes with it... you just installed a jelly fish of an engine (no spine).
Before you do a V6 swap, make shore you can make the engine work outside the truck it came in.
At least a V8 has a little more spine to begin with so if you had to go to a carb you wouldn't be worse off.
Rich
My wife loves to cook, bakes fresh cookies for my lunch every week, and now she wants a 15" Mortar.... life is good!