Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

nivek
CPL
CPL

Old Blue's overhauled 230

Post by nivek »

Gents,

This summer whilst playing with 'dialysis at home', got to cripple out to shop and get most of my engine back together.

Got truck back in '03, engine ran, poorly, had been sitting about 15 years in woods.

Engine is nothing military, 12 volt, upright car engine carb, block numbers indicate an industrial motor, head numbers are starkly absent.

I've got the block back together, ready to drop oil pan on. My question(s) now:

Is there anything special needed paid attention to sealing wise when putting pan down on block? Any preference in sealing materials or goops?
Anything known to leak that can be remedied before we drop the engine into the frame?

Prefer to avoid any leaks out of this old box. :)

Thinking of several options for a repower, but time and simple body power on my end defies that *need* for now.

Good to see the new Forums up!

kevinL
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Industrial motor.....

Post by Nickathome »

You are only the second person(other than myself) that I am aware of who's M37 has an industrial engine in it. I am curious to learn more about yours. Are you absolutely sure it is not a military industrial engine? What make is it? Where is your fuel pump located (mine is near the exhaust downtube form the manifold)? Can you get some info from any dataplates, etc? I'm very curious.

My truck's engine is a Chrysler 230 C.I. industrial engine. Build tag shows a date of 1964(truck is supposedly a 62). This engine has a milspec number, and lists some other "military" jargon, of which I don't recall exactly at the moment. My truck's motor has the military distributor with the offset tang, although this could have been an add on as well as the oil pump from some other owner, etc. I'm assuming though by the tag, that my truck's engine is defintely original military, but from what I don't know. Could it be that yours is similar? Look into the right front wheel well, you should see a build tag there on the block below the manifold. Thats where mine is.
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

Well on oil pans I have done I make sure that the pan face is straight and that the holes for the bolts dont bulge up towards the block. If so use a ball peen hammer (round end) and a backer block of wood to flatten them out. Do not OVERTIGHTEN the bolts or it will smash the gasket and leak. That's all I know.
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506