help - tires, turn signals, 4.86 gears, locking hubs

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

andre

help - tires, turn signals, 4.86 gears, locking hubs

Post by andre »

I am the new owner of a 1951 M37 with limited mechanical knowledge / experience, but I am eager to learn. My most pressing issues at the moment are:

1. after researching tires I am still confused, can any one recommend a tire. I am not a purist. I need something compatible with northern Vermont environs, dirt / mud roads and lots of snow. (got little over 12" on Friday)

2. what kind of turn signals / stop lights should I use? & where do you get them

3. is it a major job to change to 4.86 gears? where do you get them can anyone recommend someone to go to how to

thanks in advance

andre
Mac
PVT
PVT

Post by Mac »

1. For tires I have Michelin 1100x16 XZL tires...I really like them, I haven't driven them on snow but I'm sure they would do well.... There is some good info on cabell's site http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/photos5.htm

2. Is your truck set up normaly? Or has it been modified? Original wiring? I know the fire department messed with my wiring so at the moment I'm stuck with hand signals...
1951 M37 w\w
Marcus in NC
xm708
SSGT
SSGT

northern vermont ??

Post by xm708 »

andre
where are you located ? I am in lyndonville VT ..

ed
andre

Post by andre »

truck is set up normally. just purchased a electronic igition but have not installed yet

quote="Mac"]1. For tires I have Michelin 1100x16 XZL tires...I really like them, I haven't driven them on snow but I'm sure they would do well.... There is some good info on cabell's site http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/photos5.htm

2. Is your truck set up normaly? Or has it been modified? Original wiring? I know the fire department messed with my wiring so at the moment I'm stuck with hand signals...[/quote]
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

andre wrote:truck is set up normally. just purchased a electronic igition but have not installed yet

quote="Mac"]1. For tires I have Michelin 1100x16 XZL tires...I really like them, I haven't driven them on snow but I'm sure they would do well.... There is some good info on cabell's site http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/photos5.htm

2. Is your truck set up normaly? Or has it been modified? Original wiring? I know the fire department messed with my wiring so at the moment I'm stuck with hand signals...
[/quote]

Give us a call, we have dealt with all this many times. I'm sure we can offer help in sharing various things we've done. 704-474-4683, Mon-Fri, 8 to 5 eastern time.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
anthony manzella
SSGT
SSGT

TIRES

Post by anthony manzella »

WELCOME I live in S/W berbs of Chicago IL and have bought 4 new tires tubes and flaps for 870.00 installed great looking semi aggressive B.F. GOODRICH. MUD TERRAIN T/A RADIALS LT 255-85-r16 these are raised white letters but it does dress the wheels up a little bit and they are a bit better ride then the military 900x16 . it also helps if you get a half pint of silver rustoleum paint and trim out the wheels . mine are mounted on split rims you may need to see if you do buy these if the co. will mount them for you . GOOD LUCK ! with your new ride. :)