New Member - Old Project

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

mechman

New Member - Old Project

Post by mechman »

I’m beginning a project my dad and bought about 30 years ago. It’s an M37 with a seized engine and needing some serious love. When we couldn’t get it turning back when we bought it, life happened and it sat untouched for 3 decades. Now I’m ready to bring life back to it and I’m preparing to bring it to my house.
IMG_4439.jpeg
IMG_4439.jpeg (162.62 KiB) Viewed 237 times
IMG_4438.jpeg
IMG_4438.jpeg (206.37 KiB) Viewed 237 times
IMG_4437.jpeg
IMG_4437.jpeg (246.08 KiB) Viewed 237 times
Anyone recognize this engine code: US.24-9605. I’m curious if it’s the original 230 flathead?
I’m going to find the rest of the numbers to add it to the registry.
Cal_Gary

Re: New Member - Old Project

Post by Cal_Gary »

Welcome Mechman, and thanks for saving another one! Post your many questions here or use the Search engine. Lots of experience here to help you along. Many of us started where you are, so post away!
Thanks for joining us!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
ODAddict
PVT
PVT

Post by ODAddict »

Thanks for checking in and posting. Looks like you have a nice straight truck. It appears that you've kept it under cover.

I totally get the life happens part. I'm mid way through a ground-up factory-spec restoration on mine after over 45 years of "life." It's a lot of fun.

Short piece of advice that someone posted and which has stuck with me: Do some work, anything, on the truck no matter how small, each and every day. You'll be amazed at your progress.

And, it's not too early to trailer it to shows. You'll also be amazed at the help, knowledge, and resources that are out there.
John
M37B1-Oct 19,1958
MVPA 17461
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

That block number is different than the usual T245 engine. Does it have the waterproof oil filler and dipstick? Those were unique features of the G741 series engines.

PoW
mechman

Post by mechman »

Thanks for the advise, and I’m really looking forward to digging in to the truck.
Regarding whether the motor has the waterproof oil fill tube and dipstick - it looks like it does to me. Here’s a pic
Oil filler and dipstick
Oil filler and dipstick
IMG_4427.jpeg (125.75 KiB) Viewed 198 times
ODAddict
PVT
PVT

Post by ODAddict »

Except for the spark plugs, cables, and cable clamp, the photo shows what appears to be an original installation.
John
M37B1-Oct 19,1958
MVPA 17461
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Welcome to the site. That looks like a good straight truck that you are starting with. There is a wealth of information on this site, post away and I know that we all look forward to watching the progress.

Regards,
Bert
mechman

Post by mechman »

I'm struggling with what I want this truck to be. I know the first step with a project like this is to have a plan for what you want to do with it. I don't want to start buying anything without first assessing what I have, so I fully intend to bring it home and start cleaning it up and inspecting everything.

The hardest thing for me to decide on is whether I'm okay with a cruising speed of about 45 mph with the original drive train. I would like to use this truck as a hunting and utility truck. I don't travel more than about 60 miles from home for hunting trips and most areas are easily accessed by modern 2-lane roads without the need to get on the interstate. It would be great to be able to cruise along at 55-60 and generally keep up with others on the road, but it seems that might be challenging with the original motor, trans and rear end.

I think the first step will be to get it driving and stopping - without dumping a bunch of money into it. Once it can do that, then I will consider whether I want to start upgrading.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

You can get a bit more speed running the 4:89 gears instead of the stock 5:83 gears. You might send ASHYERS a PM since he runs 4;89 gears in his, and is a high school shop teacher. He'll have all the info you need.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
ODAddict
PVT
PVT

Post by ODAddict »

Your plan is a good one with respect to getting it running and safe, then driving it to learn about what you have and what you want.

As for me, I'm more along the lines of what a friend once said years ago when taking about his Harley motorcycle and its speed; he told me, "When you're on a Harley, you're already where you want to be." :D
John
M37B1-Oct 19,1958
MVPA 17461
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

Cal_Gary wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:46 pm You can get a bit more speed running the 4:89 gears instead of the stock 5:83 gears. You might send ASHYERS a PM since he runs 4;89 gears in his, and is a high school shop teacher. He'll have all the info you need.
Gary
If you are running 4.89:1 gearing with a stock 230 engine, I hope you're driving is mostly on flat roads. I'm running 11.00X16 tires on my truck, which results in a "gearing" change that is only about half the change you get by switching from 5.83 to 4.89 gearing. I would not want to deal with twice the torque reduction that running 4.89 gears on the stock 9.00X16 tires would bring when driving even some of the more moderate hills in my area.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine