Introduction

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Jim R

Introduction

Post by Jim R »

I just acquired an M37 from the widow of the previous owner. I'm new to the group and new to the M37. The previous owner started a total restoration. I now have a stack of body parts and many boxes of parts. I suspect this will be a multiyear project. The number is 91404423 an M37CDN.
Have a laugh if you think I'm nuts, Maybe I am.
Attachments
M37-18.jpg
M37-18.jpg (137.02 KiB) Viewed 195 times
M37-5.jpg
M37-5.jpg (193.57 KiB) Viewed 195 times
M37-4.jpg
M37-4.jpg (220.61 KiB) Viewed 195 times
Cal_Gary

Re: Introduction

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hello Jim and welcome! You've found the BEST M37 site anywhere! Lots of expertise here to address your many questions. Thanks for the pix, and for saving another one!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Welcome, Jim
Always a bigger challenge when you didn't get to take it apart! Get quality copies ALL of the military manuals, including the 3 parts manuals, for the truck. The pictures and descriptions are invaluable to determining what goes where.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
ODAddict
PVT
PVT

Post by ODAddict »

Hello Jim,

I'm largely done with the mechanical phase of my frame up restoration, so I think I'm done with most of those mistakes! :shock:

The recommendation to acquire the manuals is spot on. You can find them on line. I've used Portrayal Press for the hard copies which are very useful in the shop. Get them all including Body and Frame, Clutch and Engine, and the ORD 9 parts manuals. They will save you countless hours.

The manuals navigation is kind of its own thing. What may not be entirely clear in one of them will likely be explained better in another.

You're going to have a lot of fun. Just try to do something, anything, every single day. You'll be amazed at your progress while maintaining some continuity. That will help keep it fun and interesting.
John
M37B1-Oct 19,1958
MVPA 17461
Jim R

Post by Jim R »

Thank you for the encouragement. I am lucky that the previous owner had a bin full of manuals. including a CD with many more manuals. I have been reading each book. I am going through the many boxes of parts, When I find something I can't identify, I immediately search the manuals and old parts catalogues to help me identify the part. It is a real treasure hunt.
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Welcome to the site Jim,

This is the best site for information about your M37. Many of us have started out just like you with boxes full of parts. This can be a bit over-whelming at times but, I found that it makes you truly understand all of the minor and major components of the truck.
Please don't be shy about asking questions or posting pictures, we are all here to help and learn from each other.

Regards,

Bert