Losing fuel prime

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

just me
1SG
1SG

Re: Losing fuel prime

Post by just me »

It is most pronounced when fully closed.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

I'd make sure that snazzy bolt that was added to the carb's elbow doesn't leak. It's on the low pressure side of the choke and will reduce it's efficiency. If all else fails you can try choking the carb with your hand over the intake elbow as a test. If that doesn't add a heap of fuel you've got some kind of leak in the system.

Andy
BugsandJeeps
PVT
PVT

Post by BugsandJeeps »

I noticed the choke doesn't fully close by pulling the knob because there is movement in the bracket on the carb. If I manually close the cable from the carb side the bracket slightly moves and the choke plate moves a bit more. The truck starts cold no problem if i do this. It appears the choke cable bracket on the carb is mounted with 1 screw and this allows it to move and not fully close. Will grab a pic later today.
BugsandJeeps
PVT
PVT

Post by BugsandJeeps »

Fixed. The screw that mounts the choke tube bracket assembly to the carb body was stripped and allowing the bracket to move instead of closing the choke plate. Replaced with a larger screw and tightened the bracket. Choke plate moves now instead of the bracket. Starts like a charm. Little throttle and full choke and all is well. Thanks for all the help.
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Yep, it's usually something easy like that.
Glad you got it fixed. (Without the electric fuel pump, electronic ignition crowd spending your money needlessly!)
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"