And what about the Dodge M42 Command?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

M37DODGE
PVT
PVT

And what about the Dodge M42 Command?

Post by M37DODGE »

Hi every body and merry christmas for all.

After get the desire M37 dodge manual, I have found that there are variations, one of them of the m37 called the m42 command. I wish to know if some body can provide information of this vehicle. As its name suggests, it should be the commands car, and in some information provided by the net, I have found that has a table in the Bed, and a Light, for looking maps I supposed. But I have also found differences in the rear courtin canvas, which is bigger. Does any body knows the main differences between the m37 and the m42?

Thank you very much indeed
OLDSMOBILE 88 ROCKET 1955
CJ3B MITSUBISHI WILLYS JEEP
DODGE M37
LAND ROVER LIGHTWEIGHT LONG WHEEL BASE SOFT TOP
LAND ROVER LIGHTWEIGH LONG WHEEL BASE HARD TOP
KenInGA
CPL
CPL

Post by KenInGA »

There were no structural or body differences, I'm pretty sure. There was a different canvas top on the back, with more windows, a table(s), and lights. There were also radios back there too... That's all I remember at the moment..
'62 M37B1- It runs AND stops!
gwalker
CPL
CPL

Post by gwalker »

The m-42 command kit was a bed tarp w/ plastic windows in the sides an b/o curtians that could cover them (from the outside so it looked like an ordinary top)and a different rear curtian that zippered up the middle so it wasnt necessary to roll it up or take it off to get in an out. There was also a folding map table w/ a light that went in the bed as well, lastly the vehicle data plate was replaced to show it was a m-42. I think midwest military has some of the items avial. repro. if you were interested in doing a conversion. I would imagine that any such truck prob. had some radio(s) installed.
JBizal
CPL
CPL

Differences

Post by JBizal »

The M42 was a kit that converted a standard M37 to a command version. The cargo cover remained the same, however; they added special side curtains with windows and a front end curtain with a window that would also roll up. The rear curtain was longer and went from the bow to the floor. Additionally, it had a zipper down the middle to allow easy access to the rear. A boarding ladder, map table, cordamatic reel light and a special data plate were also included. Most M42 trucks also got the 100 amp conversion kit for the electrical system to run the radios that were also installed in the back. I have a complete M42 truck. It was on the cover of MV Magazine about 12-14 months ago.
Regards,
John
M-Thrax
SGT
SGT

Post by M-Thrax »

Weren't the M-42 data plate(s) red instead of black
JBizal
CPL
CPL

Plate

Post by JBizal »

All the ones I have had have been black.
John
M37DODGE
PVT
PVT

Post by M37DODGE »

Hi again,

at first say thanks for all the people answering my questions.

I am not sure yet about what I am going to do with my M37. One possibility I am considering is to restore it as a M42, well mainly the canvas, not the table and the lamp, but the question is could I find the m42 canvas?

Thank you very much
OLDSMOBILE 88 ROCKET 1955
CJ3B MITSUBISHI WILLYS JEEP
DODGE M37
LAND ROVER LIGHTWEIGHT LONG WHEEL BASE SOFT TOP
LAND ROVER LIGHTWEIGH LONG WHEEL BASE HARD TOP
N1VSM
SSGT
SSGT

Midwest Military

Post by N1VSM »

John Bizal (who posted above) has the canvas (or at least most). I bought an M43 end curtain - not to mention the other bazillion things :wink: - from him. I was amazed at the fabulously great condition!

http://www.midwestmil.com/
You can trust your mother, but you can't trust your ground.
Citizensoldier
PVT
PVT

M42

Post by Citizensoldier »

They would also convert the battery box to hold two of the 6HN batteries along with the 100 amp system and a rectifier in front of the radiator. I am building one right now.. You can find the curtains either NOS or remakes. I bought a set of NOS ones from Sid Beck in Texas.. He might have some left.
M37's and other OD junk
suacla

Re: And what about the Dodge M42 Command?

Post by suacla »

I am trying to contact Citizensoldier because I saw his posting he was working on a M42 with a 100A generator setup. I see the posting is old, but I am working on the same setup on my M42 restauration and the only manual I can find is for the same installation on a M38, which of course is totally different. Do you have any pictures you can send me with the installation details for the rectifier and regulator, please? My email is suacla@yahoo.com. Any other information will also be greatly appreciated!
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

CitizenSoldier hasn't been active since 2012; perhaps another forum member might reach out.
Thanks,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
DCook
CPL
CPL

Post by DCook »

Good Morning Suacla, I have a 1951 M37 with the complete 100 amp setup, and a functioning troupe seat mounted radio. I'll email you, and I'm happy to be of any help I can.
Dana Cook
MVPA Member #23780
1942 Chev. 1 1/2 Ton Dump Truck
1951 M37 W/W, & Field Radio
1953 M43
1958 Navy CJ3B
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks Dana! Hope you're not too buried down your way. We dodged a rough Winter up here.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500