PTO removal

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

68mgc

PTO removal

Post by 68mgc »

Hello all, I had a weird sound when I engaged the clutch on my 1953 M37. Sounded like a flap flap sound that went away with the clutch disengaged. I removed the cover and found nothing wrong. Turned out the noise is in the pto. I loosened it from the trans and the noise is gone. My question is can the pto be removed without pulling the transmission or chopping the floor? It pried away with some gentle persuasion but there doesn't seem to be enough room to remove it.
T. Highway

Re: PTO removal

Post by T. Highway »

Sorry for the delay in the post approval.

Welcome to the site.
Please update your profile to include your general location, so that fellow members can offer up suggestions for localized help if needed.

Regards,

Bert
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

It can be removed insitu with some minor difficulty. You will need to know the secret curse word of the day while doing the job.
It cannot be correctly installed on the vehicle. You will not be able to accurately set the backlash.
If all you are doing is removing one and putting a blanking plate on, do it in frame.
If you are trying to repair and reset it, do it on the bench. It is far easier and faster.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
68mgc

Post by 68mgc »

Thanks for the reply. I removed the end plate where the lever attaches and it dropped out smashing my plastic oil pan. Didn't get me though! Looks like it had some water in it so I'll need a rebuild kit. Gears look ok. Any suggestions for a bearing, seal and gasket kit?
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

The MOST important thing with the PTO/trans interface is the insertion depth or 'backlash'.

This is accomplished with a gasket stack, otherwise it will bind up if too close and drag the countershaft and/or make noises.

PoW
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hi 68 and welcome!
DC Truck parts has the PTO stuff on eBay from time to time, so take a look out there.
Glad to have you with us!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
68mgc

Post by 68mgc »

I got the pto apart and the only thing I found was the 2 identical tapered roller bearings and races were bad. Anybody have a current bearing part number for these?