Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

BugsandJeeps
PVT
PVT

Stiff Steering

Post by BugsandJeeps »

Hi All,
Just wondering how stiff the steering should be in the M37? When i first got it the tire pressure was under 10 lbs so I aired up to 35. This helped low speed steering but I have run the truck up the road a couple of times now to 30 mph and there is a considerable effort required to turn the wheel at speed. There is a bit of wandering and correction needed but generally the steering wheel is very stiff. Is this normal?
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Stiff Steering

Post by PoW »

In a word, no.

Park it and have someone rotate the wheel whilst you look for 'slop' in any linkage or tie rod end.

Something is either looking for lube or replacement.

The M37 in stock form is easy enuf to steer.

PoW
Rdinatal
CPL
CPL

Post by Rdinatal »

The truck definitely needs to be moving to help on the steering effort. Once underway it's not like power steering but fairly easy. A lot of 'feedback' through the steering wheel is to be expected.

As 'PoW' said, put the front axle on jack stands and check movement. Any slop would be worn items. Be sure to check the side-to-side movement of the idler arm.
1952 M37 - Mods = Locking hubs, battery switch, 2 bank charger, PB, PS, Pertronix SSI, Elect fuel pump w/filter&pressure switch.

Planned: Seatbelts, Bimini top :roll:
BugsandJeeps
PVT
PVT

Post by BugsandJeeps »

I put the front on stands and checked the slop in the steering. Even with no weight on the wheels the steering is stiff. There is a little play in the steering linkage but seems minimal. I turn the wheel just an inch or so and the linkage starts to move. I do notice alot of side play in the steering box output. It moves back and forth about 1/4" when turning the wheel. I assume that is not normal?

Mike
BugsandJeeps
PVT
PVT

Post by BugsandJeeps »

I removed the idler arm drag link and the steering wheel is still stiff to turn. Turning the knuckles/hubs by hand is very easy. That along with the sideplay on the steering arm shaft makes me think i have a problem with the box itself. So i started to pull the steering gear out to disassemble and replace any bushings/bearings. All going good til I get to the 3 bolts that hold the box to the frame. How do you get at the back of those? Do I need to remove the generator?

Mike
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

And I always thought removing the steering wheel was the hard part! You could try offset box wrenches.
(I had the powertrain out when I did mine.)
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
BugsandJeeps
PVT
PVT

Post by BugsandJeeps »

Got it out. Had to remove a splash pan from below and then got them. Steering is very stiff and i'll be pulling the gear apart. Found a great post by sturmtyger380 to guide me through it.

viewtopic.php?t=9432

Pulled the steering gear apart and found that the there are no shims between the lower housing cover and the steering gear housing. Whoever put it back together used silicone and when the housing cover bolts are tightened up the steering gets really tight. Loosen them and the steering is smooth and easy. Are these shims(31, 32,33 in my Canadian army manual) available? The exploded parts view in the vintage power wagons shows them but i don't see them in the catalog.
Mike
ez8
CPL
CPL

Post by ez8 »

Give them a call and find out. They are a helpful bunch at VPW; I've never had anything but good interactions with them.

Midwest Military has them, but John Bizal had a heart attack a few days ago and I wouldn't bet that his family's first priority is filling new orders quite yet.
https://shop.midwestmilitary.com/produc ... late-shim/

It looks like these are just paper gaskets so you could get some different thicknesses of gasket material and make some for yourself. Might be a fun afternoon activity on a rainy day.
BugsandJeeps
PVT
PVT

Post by BugsandJeeps »

I was hoping they were just gaskets. I will pick up some different thicknesses and give that a try.
BugsandJeeps
PVT
PVT

Post by BugsandJeeps »

I picked up some felpro gasket sheet( 3/64"thickness) and made a gasket/shim. Worked perfect and getting the truck back together this weekend. Hopefully it solves the stiff steering.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Charles at m-series rebuild has plenty of used steering boxes. Send him a PM from here.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
BugsandJeeps
PVT
PVT

Post by BugsandJeeps »

Stiff steering was resolved by the install of the correct size gasket/shim. The install of the lower steering gear cover without the seal meant too much preload on the steering shaft was causing it to be stiff. Added the gasket and took it for a ride. Not quite 1 finger steering but much much better.