Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

investig8
CPL
CPL

Fuel problem

Post by investig8 »

Hello All & Happy New Year...

The last time I had Fiona out, she was purring as usual, for about 15 miles then died and would not restart. Everything about it pointed to fuel, so a couple of days after I got her home, she started, and I attempted to drive it but only made it about 100 yards before she died again. Fortunately, my street is uphill so I could just roll back down the hill into the driveway. A few days later I tried to restart but found the crankcase full of fuel. After emptying and cleaning, I replaced the fuel filter and got her started. Now she will idle about 20 minutes sitting in the drive but will die after that, or if I try to drive her.

I am open to any suggestions, as I have put a new fuel filter and carburetor on her that now have less that perhaps 20-hours on them, even though I don't it was maybe a year ago because I don't drive her much.
Thanks for your help,,
Dennis
Investig8
1953 M-37
1952 M-38
Rdinatal
CPL
CPL

Re: Fuel problem

Post by Rdinatal »

Fuel pump diaphragm? A break in the diaphragm pumps fuel into the oil sump.

This is why I went to an electric fuel pump. Along with the possibility of vapor lock in the possible high summer temps in the South East.
1952 M37 - Mods = Locking hubs, battery switch, 2 bank charger, PB, PS, Pertronix SSI, Elect fuel pump w/filter&pressure switch.

Planned: Seatbelts, Bimini top :roll:
Dicktater
CPL
CPL

Post by Dicktater »

Rdinatal wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:39 pm Fuel pump diaphragm? A break in the diaphragm pumps fuel into the oil sump.

This is why I went to an electric fuel pump. Along with the possibility of vapor lock in the possible high summer temps in the South East.
This, Don't try to start it till you rebuild/replace the pump you could hydro lock the engine and bend a rod and wash the cylinders/rod bearings. I had this happen to my truck.
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

Yes - fuel in the crankcase is NOT good and usually a sign of a problem with the fuel pump (typically a diaphragm gone bad).

When I had my engine rebuilt, we eliminated the stock fuel pump and went with electric. The failure mode of the stock pump can ruin your engine in short order, the failure of an electric pump (with the stock pump bypassed) just means your tuck is down until you fix it or rig up a temporary gravity fed tank to the carb to get you by until permanent repairs can be made. I'll take stuck by the side of the road waiting for a tow over a ruined engine any day.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Happy New Year Dicktater and welcome back!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Dicktater
CPL
CPL

Post by Dicktater »

Thanks Gary ! I may have sold my truck but I still check in almost daily.

Happy New Year to you also!!