replacement radiator for M37

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

rtkjmk
PFC
PFC

replacement radiator for M37

Post by rtkjmk »

I feel the pain already , but I am in the market for a replacement radiator for my M37. My original unit has rotted tanks and needs a core replacement. The other problem is it is getting hard to find someone good to REBUILD a radiator. I am open to any and all suggestions , how good are the aluminum replacements ? I have gone through the rest of the vehicle , so I might just as well take of the cooling now . thanks , bob k
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Re: replacement radiator for M37

Post by rixm37 »

I think you will find this link to an earlier thread helpful.

http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2723
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Spend some time with a tape measure, and then head to the parts counter and ask to see the radiator book. All rads work the same way (as a heat exchanger) check the dimensions, and the mounting setup, and find a rad thats close and/or easy to work with. I would look for a rad with a minimum of 3 cores and would stay away from the units with plastic tanks.

I used a common rad found in 70's-80's dodge trucks and cars - was easy to find at the wrecker, and cores and tanks are still available if you find one that needs repair. Reman units are also still available. A tape measure will be your best friend for a while.

Good luck and happy hunting.
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

rtkjmk wrote:I feel the pain already , but I am in the market for a replacement radiator for my M37. My original unit has rotted tanks and needs a core replacement. The other problem is it is getting hard to find someone good to REBUILD a radiator. I am open to any and all suggestions , how good are the aluminum replacements ? I have gone through the rest of the vehicle , so I might just as well take of the cooling now . thanks , bob k
If you want to go to all the trouble, you can do the tape measure friendly route. You could also be disappointed if you choose a unit that may be relatively easy to make fit, but may not be of a design heavy enough to stand up to truck use. If you go this way consider all these points before investing. Any unit used in an M37 will need to built well enough to stand some vibration abuse, this is a huge factor that is often overlooked. All radiators are not created equal.

We have used custom built all aluminum radiators for several years, properly designed, built, and installed, they are the best deal out there for high efficiency heat transfer and longivity. Beware that junky aluminum units exist just like junky copper/brass units. Some of the worst junk I've seen were new direct M37 replacements made of copper/brass under the McChord brand. Also pay close attention to the age of any replacement, copper/brass ages to the point of deterioration rather quickly, remember this especially if going the salvage yard route. It is easy to invest too much cash in a unit that will have you right back where you are now in a relatively short time span.

My suggestion as far as dealing with anything "truck" is do it once, do it right, and enjoy a reliable and safe vehicle for years to come. When I fix a problem, I don't want to address the issue again next month, it seems that doesn't bother some people, but personally it drives me nuts, I just won't put up with it. I hate something that nickel and dimes me silly.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Excellent advice Charles - I had forgotten about the vibration issues... :?: :idea:

I would think that a 1/4" piece of rubber under the rad support would cut the vibration by at least half, without throwing the whole front clip out of alignment... It might be something worth considering. Josh just purchased a beautiful aluminum rad for his build - probably overkill for a stock engine, but you can never really have enough cooling capacity... And it was around the same price as a replacement...
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Master Yota wrote:Excellent advice Charles - I had forgotten about the vibration issues... :?: :idea:

I would think that a 1/4" piece of rubber under the rad support would cut the vibration by at least half, without throwing the whole front clip out of alignment... It might be something worth considering. Josh just purchased a beautiful aluminum rad for his build - probably overkill for a stock engine, but you can never really have enough cooling capacity... And it was around the same price as a replacement...
We mount all our radiators on rubber mounts, they are a 2 piece design that slips onto the bolt, then through the hole in the mounting flange, another piece then slips onto the protruding rubber on the other side of the flange before the washer and nut is installed. This method totally isolates the mount, on the bolt and both sides of the flange. The radiator rides totally on rubber. We get these from Cummins, never had any type of fatigue failure since using them.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Joe
CPL
CPL

Post by Joe »

Charles,

Do you have a part number for those? Do you have to alter anything to make them fit?
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Joe wrote:Charles,

Do you have a part number for those? Do you have to alter anything to make them fit?
I can supply some for you.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Travlr
PVT
PVT

Post by Travlr »

I guess I'll resurrect this thread. Been absent for awhile so returning with an interest in renewing acquaintances and asking questions.

I'm not interested in doing a stock rebuild because I want to drive my truck like a road worthy vehicle. So I'm doing a chassis swap and am well on the way. Just about to put the cab on after getting the chassis ready. Now I'm looking for a radiator. I'm not afraid of a custom job with an internal transmission cooler, but am wondering if it would be just as good to do a stock radiator with an auxiliary tranny cooler?

Opinions? And where to buy either stock or custom?
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Nice to hear from you Chuck-hope you and Bambi are well!
You didn't mention your engine-if you're upgrading it I'd likely go with a modern radiator coupled with the tranny cooler. Easier to procure than finding an M37 radiator that you can trust.
Just my 2 cents,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Travlr
PVT
PVT

Post by Travlr »

Cal_Gary wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:02 pm Nice to hear from you Chuck-hope you and Bambi are well!
You didn't mention your engine-if you're upgrading it I'd likely go with a modern radiator coupled with the tranny cooler. Easier to procure than finding an M37 radiator that you can trust.
Just my 2 cents,
Gary
Hey Gary... long time no see.

I bought a '78 3/4 ton Chevy and stripped the body off to put the M37 body on. So it's a 350, automatic, 4x4, with front disc brakes, power steering and brakes. So far the only modification I've had to do is shorten the frame 19 1/2 inches and I replaced the saddle tanks with a single 31 gallon Blazer tank. Mechanically it will be all '78 Chevy.

Any chance you have someone in mind to build the radiator I would need?
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I would think LMC Truck or some other on-line vendor would have what you need. Keep us posted!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Just got a prompt. I'll say I still recommend the all aluminum radiators. We build these in house at M Series Rebuild now. They aren't cheap to build, but you are looking a a once and done installation. You can look at our Facebook Page, M Series Rebuild LLC and scroll through the many pictures there to see these being built in our welding shop. Lots of other pics there you will enjoy pertaining to the M37 trucks as well. We still recommend mounting radiators on rubber isolators too. We get them at McMaster-Carr Supply.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com