Carburetor - Huffing above 45MPH

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Rdinatal
CPL
CPL

Carburetor - Huffing above 45MPH

Post by Rdinatal »

Ok, ok, so it's not really doing drugs... Neither am I!!

On the 2nd drive I was able to confirm what I 'thought' I was hearing. With my right ear deaf, sometimes I think things are different than they really are. The best I can describe it is when accelerating at 45mph I hear multiple "HUFF" (not a backfire). The engine lightly skips a beat but continues to develop RPMs.
Under 45mph, smooth...

Is that the Governor I keep reading about?
Any high speed (yea, right) jet adjustment on the carb I should look at??
1952 M37 - Mods = Locking hubs, battery switch, 2 bank charger, PB, PS, Pertronix SSI, Elect fuel pump w/filter&pressure switch.

Planned: Seatbelts, Bimini top :roll:
ez8
CPL
CPL

Re: Carburetor - Huffing above 45MPH

Post by ez8 »

How far out do you have your choke pulled when all this is happening?

On mine I have to pull the choke out about 1/4" to get it to run smooth. Air is getting in somewhere, but I can't detect from where yet.
Rdinatal
CPL
CPL

Post by Rdinatal »

ez8 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:05 pm How far out do you have your choke pulled when all this is happening?
Choke isn't out, this happens at temp.
1952 M37 - Mods = Locking hubs, battery switch, 2 bank charger, PB, PS, Pertronix SSI, Elect fuel pump w/filter&pressure switch.

ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Rdinatal,
It's possible it's the governor. You can test it in lower gears and see if the behavior is reproducible. A search will kick up a bunch of posts on how to adjust the governor if that proves to be the case.

I've also seen a low float setting cause issues that were similar to a poorly adjusted governor. Again a search will help you out there. I'd suggesting setting the fuel level "wet" if possible as opposed to just measuring the float height with the needle closed.

Andy
Rdinatal
CPL
CPL

Post by Rdinatal »

It was the governor. Adjusted and no more huffing.

While troubleshooting it was revealed that two cylinders have really low compression. Not something that one wants to find...