New to site

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ArcticINF77

New to site

Post by ArcticINF77 »

Hello to all. I have just bought my first M-37 it's a 1965. I was wondering how I find the info. regarding it's military history ? The tail gate has USMC on it but the bumper does not have any metal loops that I believe are for lifting the USMC trucks, for boarding it on a ship. It's in moderate condition ie: not to much rust. The engine and xmsn. have been swapped out to a 350 Chev & 3 spd. Chev. xmsn. ( it's not running & it's seized up). Wood is also in need of replacing. Oh it was I'm told fully converted.to 12 volt.
Thanks for letting me in here.
Murf
SSGT
SSGT

Re: New to site

Post by Murf »

Welcome!
As far as the assignment history on your truck usually you are held by what you find under the paint on the front bumper and rear bumperettes. This only applies if the previous owner(s) merely covered over it. If they took it down to metal and primed + painted then you are out of luck. The hood numbers can narrow down the general manufacture time but not any specific unit. Original body color and number color will give you the branch of service. For example, a green truck with yellow numbers is the Marines. A gray truck with black numbers is Navy. A marine truck had the lifting rings attached to brackets that held the loops outward vs under the bumperettes. Most of the front bumpers had metal loops on the ends.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Welcome Artic! Thanks for saving another one!
Post your many questions here-we all started where you are-post some pix if you can!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

Welcome. And congrats on the purchase.
You have some work to do now. It never gets boring. :lol:
Sebastian