M37 door marking question

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

vargaspj
PFC
PFC

M37 door marking question

Post by vargaspj »

Attached is a drawing (a picture was too big to post) of a door marking on my 1952 M37.
Under the big white Army National Star was a marking in red that was over what looks like USMC Forest Green color paint.
It is a red circle that is broken horizontally across the middle with a red "110" in block numbers in the middle.
I have spent hours looking on the internet to try to find what service/unit this marking is for.
A while back in one of the articles on historic military vehicles I was reading, there was a picture of an M37 in Vietnam with a similar marking on the door. The marking was the same but the number was different, and I remember the article mentioned that the vehicle was from a vehicle belonging to a USMC Military Police unit in Vietnam.
Does anyone have any suggestions/information on this unit marking on my truck??
BTW I could find no hood or bumper markings under the paint on this vehicle.
M37 door marking.docx
(31.81 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Attachments
M37 door marking.jpg
M37 door marking.jpg (26.21 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Re: M37 door marking question

Post by Argie1978 »

I just found this image after some time checking of markings and seems to belong to the 1st Military Police Battalion based in Da Nang. I don't know if this is the same image you saw.

Sebastian
(sorry, I only speak in METRIC)
vargaspj
PFC
PFC

Post by vargaspj »

Thank you, Sebastian!
Yes, that was the picture from the article (I can't remember what magazine the picture was in; possibly Military Vehicles Magazine?)
Anyway, it narrows it down to Vietnam and a USMC military police battalion (my M37 was also a USMC vehicle at one point; it has the "paperclips" on the fenders used for shipboard tie-down - it also has the USMC Forest Green paint as the first "base" paint color under all the other coats of paint on the vehicle).
The symbol is definitely the same; but I seem to recall that the number in the semi-circle was not the "110" that I have on the symbol on my door.
Could you make out the number in the semi-circle on your picture??
That gets me a little closer!
Thanks for the help!
Pat
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Can't contribute to the question of the marking, big the pic of the Vietnam truck looks like it is parked in a salvage yard, flat tire and all. Pretty beat up truck. hal
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

Pat, I don't think I can improve the image more than that. I've already sharpened it when zooming on the door, and that is as far as I could get. :(
Maybe somebody who served on the USMC can have more ideas. I've checked a few sources and nothing.
Regarding the truck's condition, I believe the picture is a press publication from the war. Windshield is actually shot, so are the front lights. Fellas in that truck had a bad time, Hal.
Sebastian
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

I remember that pick from a long time ago and I think that truck was involved in the Tet Offensive but don't quote me on that. As for the marking...that is a USMC thing as Army MP trucks had regular bumper markings and Military Police on the truck either direct paint or on a sign attached to the truck.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

I know this is an old one, but I stumbled upon these two images from Alamy site. There're dated from April 1969.
Door and tailgate markings varied in No and color between units.
Just to enrich the discussion.

Sebastian