5 Fuel Filters are not necessary!

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

5 Fuel Filters are not necessary!

Post by NAM VET »

Well, when you think of it, first, the mesh in the tank filler tube, for things like corn cobs and peanut husks. Then the mesh filter in the tank, perhaps a typical 100 Micron filter. Then to my Facet, which has a small 74 micron mesh inside the actual pump, then to a small canister just after the fuel pump, and finally to another metal canister just before the carb.

I have since considered this "overKill", and removed the one just before the carb, and installed a new nylon/plastic Wix in-line filter just after the fuel pump, which, looking at it yesterday, is full and clean after about a 3 mile test drive.

I have spent hours thinking about this fuel filter thing, looking over sites with different ways to do so. I have decided that mounting a screw on or canister filter back low under or by the frame rails would make it susceptible to damage by rocks and things thrown up by the front tire. And on the unlikely time I am off road, damaging such with an off-road mishap. I doubt I will venture Far off road nowadays anyway. Been there, winched out of that in the past.

So for now, just going with my clear Wix and keeping several in my truck, and hopefully that will fix my recent stumble and hesitation because I could not see how fouled and clogged the former metal canister was.

Oh, by the way, I have just about completed a different filtering system for the big parts washer we got from the nearby US property disposal yard for our trucks we keep at the airport hanger. The military grade filters for our "Heavy Weapon's Cleaner" are about $600 a set, typical and not necessary for us and our grimy truck parts.

hal
ez8
CPL
CPL

Re: 5 Fuel Filters are not necessary!

Post by ez8 »

You forgot about the grating in the filler neck to filter out taped-up hand grenades. :lol:
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

yeah, and if you read the operator's TM dash 10 for the M37, states the best way to keep it from being used by an enemy if captured is to burn it. Would likely work pretty well to "deadline' any army truck. hL
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

The factory put the spin on sediment bowl/cartridge filter on the regulator mount bracket. They eliminated it in the 53 production run, I believe.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I don't know if I was just born that way, or a habit, a tendency to try to consider every possible ramification of a plan of action, learned thru 40+ years as a physician. Sort of a what/how/why of actions and consequences.

So... thinking again about fuel filters for my truck, and before I just decided to go for now with my present clear Wix back inside the rail, I thought about a bigger filter somewhere in the engine compartment. I did not want to put it on the passenger side, near the hot exhaust manifold, in case of a leak. And other than mounted on the voltage regulator bracket, the drivers side is pretty busy with "stuff", and I did not relish spilling fuel on those components.

I know Dodge put a small filter on the regular bracket. But to me, sediment and debris and such coming thru the 74 micron Facet's filter would not flow all the way forward and then up and into a high mounted filter. I doubt my truck uses enough gas under acceleration and cruise to have enough flow volume and pressure to keep all that junk from just settling in the 5/16 fuel line, and never actually making it to a high mounted filter.

Anyway, I am static now as far as fuel filters on my M37 go. hal