Specs for Oil filter hoses

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Specs for Oil filter hoses

Post by Argie1978 »

A silly situation here: I need to replace the filter oil hoses and I'm stuck at identifying them.
Different websites publish them but they are not clear on their length. For example. Midwest tells both are identical, while VPW lists them as short and long but no detail. Other ones I am checking just say "oil hoses for WC/M37", show them sold as a pair and giving different measures but not equal to what I have.
My filter body is not attached to the engine's bracket but to the the bay wall, right next to the regulator. This makes the outlet hose to be longer in order to reach the engine.

Does somebody have both identical in length?

Inlet hose is about 14 cm long:

Outlet hose is like 34cm long and skinny....also cloth wrapped

Yes, I've also sent an email to John B. about it.
Sebastian
(sorry, I only speak in METRIC)
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: Specs for Oil filter hoses

Post by NAM VET »

I can't contribute to the length of your oil lines, and hopefully someone else will be along to suggest a solution to your problem. But I made up a lot of my own brake and vent and other lines for my own M37's restoration, using a pro grade flare tool system. Perhaps if there is no easy remedy, you can figure out a way to adapt some of your own made lines for this. These sorts of fittings are available from Places like Pegasus Auto racing, and Jegs sells a lot of small fittings too. Maybe not identical to OEMN but something that will work as well. Good luck with this. Hal
vargaspj
PFC
PFC

Post by vargaspj »

The M37 G741 parts manual lists them both as the same part number with the same nominal length of 7". Following is some additional information from a web search.

Manufacturer Daimler Chrysler part number 1188079
Ordnance part number 7320632
Hose Assembly, Nonmetallic NSN 4720-00-732-0632

FIRST END
Right-hand straight thread internal tube, inverted SAE 45-degree flare
Nominal thread size 0.438 inches
Thread series designator UNS 2B
Thread quantity per inch 24

SECOND END
Right-hand straight thread external tube swivel nut, inverted SAE 45-degree flare
Nominal thread size 0.438 inches
Thread series designator UNS 1A
Thread quantity per inch 24

HOSE
Inside Diameter 0.188 inches nominal
Outside Diameter 0.406 inches nominal
Smooth inside surface
Outer covering abrasion resistant, mildew resistant, oil resistant
Burst test pressure 12,000 PSI
Temp rating -40 degrees to 200 degrees Fahrenheit
First layer braided steel wire, outer layer ozone resistant molded synthetic rubber
Maximum operating pressure 3,000 PSI
Hydrostatic test pressure 6,000 PSI
Nominal length 7 inches overall
Designed for fuel/oil and hydrocarbons

These hoses should connect to SAE 45 degree flare fittings for ¼ inch steel lines.
Since your filter is not in the stock location one idea may be to replace the hard lines that go to your oil filter with 1/4" steel tubing with 45-degree flare fittings so you can use the stock 7" long flexible tubing on both the inlet and outlet ports on the oil filter.
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

Both of you have been very helpful.
I have decided to use the engine bracket (as I have it), and will locate the filter body in its original place. This will also be part of the engine bay restoration.
Using rigid lines is not recommended as the vibration these engines do will carry leaks in the future.
I was thinking on fabricating my own hoses like you proposed, Hal, but I wanted to give it a shot procuring new ones as the 90-deg elbows seems to be in good condition.
vargaspj wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:28 pmSince your filter is not in the stock location...[..]...you can use the stock 7" long flexible tubing on both the inlet and outlet ports on the oil filter.
This is an idea, although, like I wrote before: better to go back to original and do things accordingly. :wink:
Also, very nice information you gathered! :thumbs:

I have requested from Midwest one short and one long hoses. I will update here.
Thank you.
Sebastian
(sorry, I only speak in METRIC)