Font type for hood markings

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Font type for hood markings

Post by Argie1978 »

Hi all. This perhaps can only apply to purists.
While the folks at the shop are working on the electricity part (I consider myself an ignorant on the subject), I took the time to go for the numbers on the hood being this piece the only one that didn't get in the hands of the sandblaster.
After spending some time going as light as possible I got tired and started using the grinder. Nothing. The piece was painted several times, but any ID was removed before.

That green below the last paint was "too green" for my taste,....does anybody know if it's a real color used by any branch? It's too light.
Now I need to go for some fantasy numbers. Does anybody know the font type?
According to manual AR 850-5 (from 1941 thru 1954, my truck is from '52), section III, paragraph 6 "Registration Markings", truck lettering must be 2 inches (5,08 cm) tall in vehicles but there is no mention of the font type, just the style followed by this example....

Now, if we go to the Technical Bulletin 746-93-1 (October '64), it is specified in section 2, chapter 5 "Description of Markings", paragraph A:....."letters and numerals used in the marking of vehicles and equipment will be of the gothic style illustrated in figure 1"...

Some people have said Gothic style is known nowadays as SANS SERIF for font types.
Then the TB goes with: "Thickness of the characters (stroke width) will be between 1/6 and 1/7 of their height."
Coloring of this lettering is mentioned in paragraph A) "....Lusterless white, Colour Chip No. 37875-for vehicles painted olive drab or other dark colour."

Here some font types available in MS Word. If you ask me, the closest are Century Gothic, Trade Gothic Next Cond, and Interstate because the crossbar of the "A" must be low.

Image[/url]

Examples found online:

In almost all images I can find online and here in this forum there are 7 digits for the ID No. Sometimes I've seen 6, sometimes 4. Now I haven't checked the TB for this part, is it weird to go with 8? (note one of the pics here notes 9 digits which I believe is not correct).
Sebastian
(sorry, I only speak in METRIC)
Cliff
PFC
PFC

Re: Font type for hood markings

Post by Cliff »

My suggestion is to contact Delta Team Decals in Michigan @231-923-6203. They are experts at this and can not only answer your questions but also make stencils for you for a very reasonable price. The font you want for a 1952 is gothic. The font style example in the manual you refer to is called “military” and was used on World War II vehicles only. Call Delta Team and they can help if you by stencils from them.
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Re: Font type for hood markings

Post by Argie1978 »

Thanks for the input, Cliff.
In this part of the world I have the guys at Axholme Signs in UK to provide some help in that sense. As I want to apply stencil-type and not decals (although lot of people tell decals nowadays are a good option in quality), the idea would be requiring them a sample. But also I wanted to go in my own and do a few tests at the shop before deciding.
Sebastian
(sorry, I only speak in METRIC)