Braden LU4 Rebuilt!

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ez8
CPL
CPL

Braden LU4 Rebuilt!

Post by ez8 »

Finally finished up my rebuild of a 1962 LU4 for my 1963 non-winch truck.
Sourcing the pieces wasn't too big of a deal (except for the bumpers!) but the rebuild was easy enough with the exception of the issues I had with the main shaft being out of round.

Still, feeling good after getting this done today. Now on to the PTO and the PTO shaft.

Anyone know how I can patina the winch and bumpers to match my truck? :D
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Braden LU4 Rebuilt!

Post by John Mc »

Nice installation. I did similar on my truck. I could not find winch bumpers, so had a local fab shop make them from my non-winch bumper.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

Nice job.
No idea abut how to match the color, although I think it will require a bit of craftsmanship.
Sebastian
(sorry, I only speak in METRIC)
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

I did see an old Dodge "Pilot House" truck that had been owned by an artist who painted on the patina (and painted on "rust"). It was an artfully done job.

I was faced with the same issue when I added the winch to my truck. "Brutus" was a little self conscious of his nose job:
Nose Job (winch) sm.jpg
Nose Job (winch) sm.jpg (151.9 KiB) Viewed 900 times

The mismatch was taken care of about 6 months later when I was run off the side of a narrow dirt road and into a ditch by a truck coming the other way. Brutus got in an argument with a utility pole, damaging the bumpers, radiator, and most of the sheet metal on the front end. (The left Fender and cheek were OK.) I hated to lose the patina, but had no other choice than to have the front end repainted as we were piecing things back together.
Accident 4 sm.jpeg
Accident 4 sm.jpeg (121.58 KiB) Viewed 900 times

Back together. Front end repainted.
Back Together Again1 sm.jpg
Back Together Again1 sm.jpg (156.92 KiB) Viewed 900 times
I really liked the patina, but couldn't see trying to distress the new front end to match. At any rate, I'm going to have to get some repairs done on the cab one of these days, and suspect I'll need to repaint that once those are done as well.
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

Found a picture of that old pilothouse truck (Dodge 1951 B2B - or so the advertisement claimed).

All of the patina is just painted on. An impressive job. Even standing fairly close to the truck, I assumed it was real. Someone spent some time studying wear patterns on old trucks before taking the paintbrush in hand.

IMG_3072.jpeg
IMG_3072.jpeg (145.48 KiB) Viewed 900 times
If you were going to try something similar, you might need to start with a lighter shade on the winch and bumpers.

I'm not sure if there is some chemical way to bleach out the new paint a bit? I suspect that modern paints work hard to resist that sort of effect.
Last edited by John Mc on Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ez8
CPL
CPL

Post by ez8 »

John Mc wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:44 am
The mismatch was taken care of about 6 months later when I was run off the side of a narrow dirt road and into a ditch by a truck coming the other way. Brutus got in an argument with a utility pole, damaging the bumpers, radiator, and most of the sheet metal on the front end. (The left Fender and cheek were OK.) I hated to lose the patina, but had no other choice than to have the front end repainted as we were piecing things back together.
Poor Brutus!

My patina comment was a bit tongue in cheek, I suppose. The only remedy for new paint is get out and drive, so that's what I'll be doing!