Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

delta31
PFC
PFC

PTO Transmission Backlash

Post by delta31 »

Hi all
When checking backlash while installing the pto, where do you place
pointer on a dial indicator? I am assuming it will be on the tooth of the gear in the
transmission that engages the gear in the pto. This will be done on the opposite
Side of the transmission from the pto. Is this correct?i would think the pointer needs to be close to tangent withe the gear (90 degrees to the radius of the gear).
Thanks
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Re: PTO Transmission Backlash

Post by Elwood »

I used a test indicator - e.g. a Brown & Sharpe "BestTest", a Starrett "Last Word", or similar - since the movable arm was easier to get into the gear teeth than a dial indicator. The range of motion is very small, so the limits of a test indicator were not a problem.

Yes, the indicator should be on the gear that engages the PTO gear.

Accessing the gear through the unused PTO opening on the right side of the transmission would be easiest, but because of the way that my transmission was mounted in the engine stand, and since the mainshaft was not installed, I accessed it through the top opening.

100_9561.jpeg
100_9561.jpeg (250.39 KiB) Viewed 285 times
100_9560.jpeg
100_9560.jpeg (248.81 KiB) Viewed 285 times
100_9559.jpeg
100_9559.jpeg (239.51 KiB) Viewed 285 times
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776