LU 4 Winch Clutch Shaft Plug

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

delta31
PFC
PFC

LU 4 Winch Clutch Shaft Plug

Post by delta31 »

Working on a Braden LU 4 Winch and will need to remove the clutch shifter shaft. Have not yet pulled the plug out of the bottom of the clutch
housing to remove the snap ring on the clutch shaft. My question: Is the 1.25" plug basically the same as a freeze plug with a cup shape?
For a replacement would I just purchase a 1.25 inch freeze plug? or is in more of a convex disk that does not have a rim like a freeze plug?
Thanks
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Re: LU 4 Winch Clutch Shaft Plug

Post by ashyers »

I used a Dorman 550-017 plug.
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

when I restored mu LU4 about two years ago, pulling the shifter rod out was a nitemare. Someone must have banged on it with a hammer to move the clutch. Got a replacement I think from VPW, and then separating the main housing halves with a rusted fused minn shaft/dog was just as difficult. Getting the thing apart was far more work than putting it back together. Plus, mine had broken keys in the main shaft, had to have a machine shop get them out too. I used sticky grease to hold the dog in place when I assembled it back together. IN the end, my shifter shaft must have been a little longer than OEM, because I could get the bottom lock ring in, but not have room to put a plug back in. So I packed it with grease to keep stuff out. In the end, it works fine. Good luck with your effort, hal
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Hal,
Did you include the spacer that goes under the plug? I ask, because ours went missing in the parts washer for a while and lead to a bit of head scratching.

Andy
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

My spacer was missing once I got the plug out. I had to make one up to fit in there.
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
delta31
PFC
PFC

Post by delta31 »

Where does the spacer go on the clutch shifter shaft?
The tm and ord 9 diagrams are not that clear
Thanks
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I don't remember now, there is a spacer of sorts under the top of the shifter handle. I put in new seals, plus the lock ring on the bottom of the shaft, but just didn't have room for the plug you tap in to seal the whole thing. My TM' s are over at the "hanger" or motor pool as we call it, so can't look it up now. it was a lot of work with clamps and every sort of tool, to get the halves apart. Charles Talbert has a lot of info on tricks to make it all work when one, plus others like me have posted about this project too on this forum. Good luck. Rust on the insides can make taking it apart a real challenge. hal
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

The spacer goes under the plug, it's just a thin piece of tube that goes in the plug's bore. It holds the plug off the floor of the bore (and off the clutch shaft) and allows the plug to be deformed to seal. I didn't measure mine but I'd guess is was a mild steel tube around 1.240 OD, .05 Wall and about .25" tall. If you don't use one you won't be able to expand the plug.
delta31
PFC
PFC

Post by delta31 »

Thanks for all the replies