R-2 Clutch replacement

Post by Halfdunn »

IMG_08663.jpg
IMG_08663.jpg (32.22 KiB) Viewed 223 times
IMG_08641.jpg
IMG_08641.jpg (37.8 KiB) Viewed 223 times
IMG_08652.jpg
IMG_08652.jpg (37.27 KiB) Viewed 223 times
Well I thought my clutch needed attention so I ordered all the parts and removed the transmission and clutch components. After removal, it seems as though it may not have needed to be changed after all. The flywheel was not heat scorched or any grooves scored in it. The pressure plate was fine as well as the release bearing. The clutch disk still had plenty of material on it as well. I guess I was overly concerned but in the end I now have a new clutch and all the components.

While I had the transmission out, I took advantage of replacing all of the seals and gaskets in it and new seals and gaskets for the PTO also. I was having a pretty good leak out of the Shift shaft seals on the PTO. As most of you know, all of these materials are readily available from several different vendors with quick shipping. Looks like the transmission was rebuilt by the Toule Army Depot in 1973. I believe all of the clutch components were changed then also.

Let me say at 66 years of age this definitely a two person job. Thanks to my young son-in-law it went really well. I will attempt to add photos of the pulled parts. By the way I did reference the Army Technical manuals before proceeding and trying to follow the removal and installation process by the book. It really helped me.
Cal_Gary

Re: R-2 Clutch replacement

Post by Cal_Gary »

Nice job, Half! Many of us have done that job, and yeah, it gets tougher as we get older (I'm 64 myself).
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500