Oil filter cover gasket

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

mike_l
SGT
SGT

Oil filter cover gasket

Post by mike_l »

Hey, anyone know if any of the brands still come with the thick fiber-like gasket instead of the flimsy rubber gasket like the NAPA filters? Each year, at least the past few years, I have to finesse the gasket/lid into position so I don't get a leak. This year, I've worked with that gasket for 3 days and have not gotten it to seal. The older thicker, fiber gaskets worked every time, all the time.
Mike
Marion, IN
1954 M37 W/OW
1953 M101
Indiana MVPA
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: Oil filter cover gasket

Post by NAM VET »

I never have any leaks with the thicker rubber gaskets. But maybe you are tightening the top bolt down too tight. Or maybe your leak is from the bolt washer, I use a special "captured" rubber metal washer for the bolt, and another smaller one for the side drain plug. You can get them in various sizes from Pegasus Auto Racing. Hal
mike_l
SGT
SGT

Post by mike_l »

Hal,

Thanks for the info. No, this is coming from the lid gasket. I snug the lid down a bit. I've found in the past, if I don't snug the lid down, it leaks. I've never had a problem with the heavier, fiber-like gaskets but I haven't seen any of those in years, at least not with the NAPA ones I've been using lately. Looking at the imprint of the old lid gasket when I change them, I see the rubber ones don't quite span the entire gasket channel in the lid like the fiber ones did. The imprint ring is off center, as in very near the gasket's edge in one area and not as close to the edge on the opposite side. If they were a smidge wider, I think they would center in the channel better and stay in place. The ORD manual states they should be rubber & asbestos, 5-1/8 OD, 4-3/8 ID, 1/16 thk regardless of the housing brand you have. Of course, they wouldn't have asbestos in them now, but I remember for years the filters had a fiber-like gasket that about snapped into place and stayed. I didn't measure the new one before I put it in and the old one is distorted from compression so I can't rely on it to measure.

I have a new copper gasket under the bolt head, usually change those out after a couple filter changes. I've never put a gasket on the drain. I use sealant on it, seems to work for me.

I'll keep working with it unless I find a better one. Most times I can get it to seal after a couple tries. This one is being stubborn.
Mike
Marion, IN
1954 M37 W/OW
1953 M101
Indiana MVPA
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

I believe this is what your looking for .
https://www.zoro.com/baldwin-filters-bu ... /G2353097/
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
mike_l
SGT
SGT

Post by mike_l »

Sal,

Thanks. I'm pretty sure that is the one.

So, here's what happened....back when I got my truck, it had a non-drain filter housing. Some years later, I found a Purolator filter body that had the drain. I swapped the lids rather than the entire assemblies because the non-drain housing had A/C decals on it and I liked the A/C marked lid. In retrospect, that may have been about when I began to have problems seating the gaskets.

Today, I dug out the Purolator lid and swapped it out, putting it back on the Purolator body in the truck. I could tell the fit was better right away. I have started it several times since and no leaks.

Also, I compared some gaskets as the old A/C marked body still had one of the thicker gaskets in it. The new NAPA gasket is 1/16" thick, the older gasket is about 3/32" thick and less floppy than the thinner NAPA gasket. The specs are the same as the Baldwin Filter G115 gasket.

Yep, I think I win this one though the battle was probably my fault. Thanks for the info.
Mike
Marion, IN
1954 M37 W/OW
1953 M101
Indiana MVPA
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

there is something satisfying, and necessary for us old truck guys, when we fix some aggravating problem with a simple solution. Good results for you. Hal