Can't get timing right, can the oil pump gear be off by one

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Halfdunn
PVT
PVT

Re: Can't get timing right, can the oil pump gear be off by one

Post by Halfdunn »

Thanks guys! Still stock carb and have never really messed with the Governor. I am happy at 40 mph like some of you and remember, I am pulling along 7800 lbs of weight on my USAF R-2 Rescue truck with all of the proper equipment on board. I may still tinker with the timing a little for some fine adjustment. It does fire right up without the choke pulled and seems to accel smoother. Fuel is not a issue I believe but will test pressure and float level. just got a carb rebuild kit but wanted to see what happened with the new timing first.
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

If your engine is stock you won't find much in timing. If your at 2-4 BTDC these things just aren't that sensitive to it. We played with one on the dyno and advancing it up to 8 did nothing and going further didn't make much sense.

As far as the governor, there's some good posts on here of how to adjust it by Charles Talbert. He wrote up a very good set of instructions. If the governor is working correctly the truck will approach it's max RPM and gently stop accelerating. It works on a principal very similar to a governed lawn mower engine. You can adjust how aggressive it comes on, but there's limits. It can cause surging at one extreme or sluggish response on the other. If adjusted correctly it works really well.

Edit: Just dug these up, enjoy:

Edit, Here's one of the posts:
viewtopic.php ... nor#p54198
and the other:
http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/for ... hp?t=10947
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

ashyers your links are not working.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

We'll try that again, something was clipped when I copied them. They seem to work now.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6963&p=54198&hilit=governor#p54198

and the other:

https://powerwagonadvertiser.com/forums ... ng?t=10947

Andy
Halfdunn
PVT
PVT

Post by Halfdunn »

Thank you, thank you very much. I appreciate all of the archived articles and have downloaded them to my computer for reference when I start the process.

I really look forward to trying this out on my decent running M-56 chassis 230 engine.

HalfDunn
vit16
CPL
CPL

Post by vit16 »

ashyers wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:46 am We played with one on the dyno and advancing it up to 8 did nothing and going further didn't make much sense.
amazing info!!!