Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Crack in carburetor

Post by Argie1978 »

Hi guys.
The truck I got came with a different carb that I cannot recognize at the moment. Seems to be an adaptation made with some European part (Fiat?) and the mounting base of the Chrylser manifold.
Anyways, I've just bought an used BB carb core (not the ETW-1) and my intention was to start rebuilding it for the sake of fun and/or improving my skills. :P

But I found a crack on the float bowl cover (pic). Doesn't seem to be a major damage and actually the crack doesn't follow the other way around (in the back).

Questions:
......have you guys suffered from something like this and could move forward without any repair?
......If I need to repair, do you recommend any filler? Or what should I do?

It only costed me 21€, not a pain in the arse to be honest. :|

Sebastian
Sebastian
(sorry, I only speak in METRIC)
Murf
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Crack in carburetor

Post by Murf »

IF the carb was in military service it would have been caused by the butt of a rifle from some guy trying to get the float unstuck :lol:

Personally, I would toss it. Get a ETW1 and play with it.
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

Yeah, even though this unit was planned for fun only, maybe I can get it to work. No issues buying an ETW1. The problem is that other than those sellers exchanging the core, there seems to be no one selling the carb. I've checked here in Europe and nothing. And eBay is empty. :?
I wish I had an original core on my own now so I can send it right away.
A few emails to be send and I'll evaluate what I am going to do. The carb that I got works fine. But either it and the filter aren't original. I don't like that.
Sebastian
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

John at Midwest Military has the ETW1 carbs.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

Thanks for the heads up, Gary. I've bought several things from Midwest and still planning to do more. Good preservation of NOS parts and good shipping, two key factors for me.
Indeed John sells them but it is stated in the website that I should send the used core.

In the meantime, of other users suffered from this situation (the crack), it might be great to share experiences.

Sebastian
Sebastian