installing distributor and oil pump

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Caldwelljj0
PVT
PVT

installing distributor and oil pump

Post by Caldwelljj0 »

I am installing a military oil pump and distributor. How can I be sure it is lined up for proper firing order?
Jeff Caldwell
1962 M37
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Re: installing distributor and oil pump

Post by Lifer »

The distributor will only go in one way if you still have the military oil pump/distributor because the drive tang on the distributor is offset to one side. This eliminates half the problems you may encounter.

When installed, the rotor should point to the #1 plug wire (7:00 position when at TDC with #1 cylinder at the top of the compression stroke). The adjustment hold-down bolt should be in the middle of its curved slot at this point. If the rotor does NOT point to the 7:00 position, you need to pull the oil pump, turn it counter-clockwise 1 tooth and reinsert it. You may have to do this a couple of times or so until it lines up right.

Once you have the rotor pointing in the general vicinity of the #1 plug wire, it's a simple matter of turning the distributor back and forth as usual to set the timing.

Enjoy getting your hands dirty! That's half the fun, isn't it? :)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

We see the military oil pump still in use with a civ distributor or vise versa fairly frequently. The offset design if installed by a sensible installer will guard against a 180 out situation, however, it can be forced into engagement with effort. So if you think it is impossible to install incorrectly, wrong. It's a common sense thing with one knowing force should not need to be applied; not if you can shove it in, it should be ok. I had one a couple of weeks back that used a civ oil pump and a mil distributor, someone had worked on the oil pump shaft slot with a dremel tool it appeared to widen the slot so it fit effortlessly. We replaced the pump with a new mil spec pump to get things back in line.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
M37UK
SSGT
SSGT

Post by M37UK »

What would be the symptoms of installing the distributor 180 degrees out ?

Just wondering.....
Stu

1952 Dodge M37 with 1952 M101 Trailer
MVT UK
SMVG Scotland
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

M37UK wrote:What would be the symptoms of installing the distributor 180 degrees out ?

Just wondering.....
Most likely, you would get backfiring through the carb if a cylinder fired with the intake valve open. That's a true backfire. It could also "backfire" through the exhaust if the cylinder fired with the exhaust valve open. Either way, the engine would not "light up" and run, and the backfire would scare the bejeezus out of you and anyone else in the neighborhood (simply because true backfires are so rarely heard these days).
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

M37UK wrote:What would be the symptoms of installing the distributor 180 degrees out ?

Just wondering.....
The engine will not start, however you will get an occasional backfire is pretty much the typical. It won't be hard to figure out the problem. Now if you change the plugs wires around and put #1 wire where #6 would normally go and vise versa, plus continue to relocate the other wires in accordance with the 1-5-3-6-2-4 firing order; all will be right on time.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
M37UK
SSGT
SSGT

Post by M37UK »

Ok, thats interesting.

I still have the occasional problem of a slight backfire through the carb upon quick acceleration and I am struggling to get to the bottom of it.
Stu

1952 Dodge M37 with 1952 M101 Trailer
MVT UK
SMVG Scotland
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

M37UK wrote:Ok, thats interesting.

I still have the occasional problem of a slight backfire through the carb upon quick acceleration and I am struggling to get to the bottom of it.
This would be a totally different issue.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
LmJohnson 13th

Post by LmJohnson 13th »

Thanks for the information
Will give it a try.