Need Clutch 101

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

signsup
PVT
PVT

Need Clutch 101

Post by signsup »

Next generation Kaiser M715, but my clutch question is basic, so any help greatly appreciated. Got truck from Bubba Fire Department and what they disclosed was accurate so far as to the running condition and no mention of clutch issue when parked. But after I take care of the fuel pump and fuel line issue and start this puppy up, it idles smooth as glass and I'm yearning to take it for a run. But, when I push the clutch pedal down and shift into gear and release the clutch, nothing hapens. No grinding, no bogging down, nothing.
I go underneath and there is a down rod from the back of the clutch pedal that has a socket on the end that goes over a ball on a bell crank and that all works. There is an adjustment on this down rod.
The ball bellcrank turn freely and pushes another threaded rod that is connected to a bar that comes down from the bellhousing which I presume is the fork. This threaded rod is also adjustable.

But I have no clue which way to go with what adjustment.

When I move the shift lever into first gear with no cluth pedal depressed, it will grind and I can feel moving gears. When I push the cluth pedal down, the grinding stop and I can fully engage into first. But when I releae the pedal, nothing. No grinding just idle.

I'm hoping the linkeage just needs to be tightened up so that the clutch is engaging? Or is it engaging but not disengaging? I'm not a tranny guy, so any help appreciated.

I'll hang up and listen.
RCrombie
CPL
CPL

Re: Need Clutch 101

Post by RCrombie »

I’m not familiar with the M715 but I think the drivetrain is pretty similar.., so here’s my thinking:
1) the clutch isn’t fully engaging when you let up on the pedal. There should be some free play when the pedal is all the way out. That is to say, you can push the pedal in an inch or so before you feel any resistance. If there isn’t any free play, then your clutch probably isn’t fully engaging, and is probably slipping. It would have to be slipping badly though, not to budge the truck even in low gears.
2)The other thought I had is, (since bubba has been involved) try putting the truck in 4wd and see if that makes a difference. It’s possible you could have an issue with a broken rear axle, if the axles are anything like the M37.

Have any pictures of the truck? M715s are pretty neat looking. Good luck with it!
Rob
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I'm no expert on the M715 either. Call Vintage Power Wagons-I'm sure they'd be able to walk you through it.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
signsup
PVT
PVT

Post by signsup »

antifreeze stencil compressed.JPG
antifreeze stencil compressed.JPG (23.83 KiB) Viewed 455 times
arrival dr side compressed.JPG
arrival dr side compressed.JPG (39.84 KiB) Viewed 455 times
Well, this is awkward, but while thinking of engaging my brain about this issue, I thought it might be helpful to also engage the transfer case. As with my jeeps, if the tc is not in 2 or 4 wheel position, it is in neutral and will also put the transmission in a true neutral position, which is what was happening with me. I climbed in this morning, started it up and pushed the tc lever forward into 2 wheel position, engaged the clutch and put it in 1st gear and slowley let out the clutch and it grabbed and wanted to go. I have the wheels chocked and a large gantry hoist over the bed to remove the Bubba liquid storage tank and pump from the bed, so unable to actually move, but it wanted to, which is more than where I was yesterday. Maybe this will assist some other newbie with the same issue.

One quick pic in it's Bubba fire department configuration. Used to spray weeds and Kudzoo around fire hydrants and power poles. Still has a lot of the military bits and pieces including all data plates, two battery hold downs in the battery box between the seats, black out drive light bracket on the hood and even a anti freeze stencil under the hood that indicates it was in the military until at least 1976. Game plan is to put it back as close as I can to 1968 US Army configuration and mark for my brothers service.

Back to grinding off tack welds on pump mounting in bed and troop seat uprights tack welded to stake pockets for passenger support, I presume. I've got troop seat bottoms and legs from some Chevy G506's that will get me close enough for government work. Thanks for jogging my mind about the transfer case.
RCrombie
CPL
CPL

Post by RCrombie »

We’ve all been there! Glad to know it was a 0 beer 0 cuss fix.
Looks like a fun rig
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Yep, sure have.
I threw my M37 in 4X once, went through 2 feet of snow then realized I'd forgotten the lockout hubs....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Cal_Gary wrote:Yep, sure have.
I threw my M37 in 4X once, went through 2 feet of snow then realized I'd forgotten the lockout hubs....
Gary
:lol:

Guilty here, too.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776