24V Air compressor options?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

24V Air compressor options?

Post by John Mc »

Has anyone found a good 24V air compressor option? And do you permanently mount it somewhere, or use a portable compressor

I currently keep a VIAIR 88P 12V portable air compressor under the driver's seat of my M37 (Brutus). At this size (9.8″L x 3.2″W x 5.6″H), it's an easy fit, even with all the other assorted tools I have under there. This is powered via battery clips, rather than through a cigarette lighter plug (amp draw is too great for a lighter plug). I just connect it to one of my 12 V batteries to run. If I have a lot of pumping to do, I'll switch to the other battery after a bit to even things out.

I've been debating shifting that to another vehicle, and getting a 24V unit for Brutus. So far, the only one I've found in a 24V portable unit is the VIAIR 400P (available in either 12 or 24V models). It seems like a really nice compressor, but it's large (approx 11"L x 6"W x 7.5"H). I'll have to figure out if that will fit under my seat with all of he other stuff I have there. They also make permanently mounted 24V compressors I might consider one of those, if I could figure out where I might mount it.

Does anyone have suggestions for good mounting places for a permanent mount, or other options for portable 24V units that are durable but not quite so large as the VIAIR 400P?

My other option is to install a 24 to 12VDC converter I have lying around and rig an outlet somewhere suitable for the 88P. That would also give me a 12V option for other accessories. I just have to verify that it can put out the amps that the 88P requires.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Re: 24V Air compressor options?

Post by sturmtyger380 »

ARB offers both 12 and 24 volt on board compressors. They are not really inexpensive though.

https://arbusa.com/air-compressors/on-b ... mpressors/
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

I had been leaning toward a portable compressor, probably because that's what I've always had in my other vehicles. As i thought about it, however, I realized that my M37 is the only 24V source I own. Where else would I possibly use it? Looking more seriously at permanently mounted options and where I might put them.

Thanks for the lead on ARB, sturmtyger. I had forgotten all about them.
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

I haven't tried it yet, but they do make small size 12v alternators. I thought about adding one of those and it would allow me to have dual power.
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

sturmtyger380 wrote:I haven't tried it yet, but they do make small size 12v alternators. I thought about adding one of those and it would allow me to have dual power.
Thanks, but I'd probably go with a 24 to 12V DC converter. I already own one that I think is large enough to run the compressor. It came with the truck, which had a hybrid 12/24 V electrical system when I bought it. I pulled the converter when I switched back to all 24V military system. I've been thinking of reinstalling it to run some 12 V accessories anyway.
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

The high current totally inductive load will play hell on the converter. They are meant to drive clean, noise free resistive and capacitive loads.
Spend some time searching air horns on line. Marine applications are often 24v and there are options available.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

just me wrote:The high current totally inductive load will play hell on the converter. They are meant to drive clean, noise free resistive and capacitive loads.
My preference would be to run a 24V compressor anyway. Running the 12V compressor I have off the DC-DC converter was my backup plan.

I was under the impression that a DC-DC converter could handle an inductive load, but just at a reduced output. Is that not correct? I've not used these things much.
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

John Mc wrote:
just me wrote:The high current totally inductive load will play hell on the converter. They are meant to drive clean, noise free resistive and capacitive loads.
My preference would be to run a 24V compressor anyway. Running the 12V compressor I have off the DC-DC converter was my backup plan.

I was under the impression that a DC-DC converter could handle an inductive load, but just at a reduced output. Is that not correct? I've not used these things much.
I just checked with the seller of one 720 watt continuous / 900 watt peak rated 24-12 V DC to DC converter. They claim it will work fine and is not down-rated at all for inductive loads.

I'm not sure I actually believe that. I'm not sure the person responding even understood what I was asking, let alone had the knowledge to answer it. It's not clear whether they are also the manufacturer or not. I'd feel a lot better about hearing it from someone I knew was the manufacturer.
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

You can drive purely inductive loads but will need to add a line choke LC network to keep the voltage spikes from the collapsing magnetic fields from damaging the inverter.
(Traction power inverters are my livelyhood.)
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"