Fitting a hardtop... or aligning it as best I can

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

RedUtilityTruck
PVT
PVT

Fitting a hardtop... or aligning it as best I can

Post by RedUtilityTruck »

I am fortunate enough to have found a hard top a few years ago and have just begun trying to fit it to my truck.

I did not remove it from a previous truck but bought it already removed.

As it is sitting on the cab, and windscreen, it appears that the rear is higher than the front. Also the front bolt holes do not line up with the holes in the windshield frame. The windshield frame has 5 bolt holes across the front and this top has only 2 bolt holes incorrectly spaced to hit any of the windshield frame bolt holes..

So I am wondering if there is supposed to be a spacer or shim that is about 1/2 inch thick between the windshield frame and the hard top at the front. That would correct the misalignment front to back. The only other thing I can think of would be that the small ridge along the rear cab would be cut off to install the hard top, and I am not willing to modify my truck in that way. Willing to modify the hardtop, but not the truck.

Any thoughts and perspectives welcome.
RCrombie
CPL
CPL

Re: Fitting a hardtop... or aligning it as best I can

Post by RCrombie »

Hi,

There’s at least two styles of hardtop used by the military. One is a modified cckw top with a round window and a few adaptations to make it fit the m37 cab. The other hardtop is the one designed for the m37 which has a sliding rear window. I have also seen a few home built tops adapted from other vehicles.
Can you post a picture? Then we might be able to better help you out.
Regards
Rob

Actually, going by memory I believe there’s two holes on the inside at the front that on my truck have a large padlock securing the window frame to the hardtop. I’ll take a closer look for you later and see if there’s anything extra there. I have the type with the sliding rear window.
RedUtilityTruck
PVT
PVT

Thanks Rob,
Based upon your description I have nether. . . I have an oval-ish rear window, but I am pretty sure it is not the hard top that was adapted from the CCKW trucks.

Will go get some pictures and see about posting them here.
Jase
RCrombie
CPL
CPL

Post by RCrombie »

Here is how my hardtop is attached at the front. This is as it came from the military.
Attachments
0E2D2807-8A1A-48FB-82B4-19040DA6F2EF.jpeg
0E2D2807-8A1A-48FB-82B4-19040DA6F2EF.jpeg (95.18 KiB) Viewed 649 times
36808478-F02E-4517-BAB6-1D71D688C8C5.jpeg
36808478-F02E-4517-BAB6-1D71D688C8C5.jpeg (65.13 KiB) Viewed 649 times
RedUtilityTruck
PVT
PVT

Not having any luck yet capturing an image that is small enough to post here.

I can say that my hardtop must not be a factory original, as there is no way to use those tabs and locks to secure the front. Also the rear was probably attached with sheet metal screws. I am unwilling to drill holes in my truck so I will find another way to attach the rear of the top.
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

G741 hardtop kits with oval windows were definitely made from CCKW kits.

I had two of those, still in the crates. (Many years ago, gone now). There was still some lit in with them showing how to mount it on the WW2 truck.

The tip is there are a lot of painted wooden parts to it that allow it to sort of fit an M37. It also has a metal crosspiece that adapts the top of your windshield to fit up to the top front.

If one doesn't cut off some of the metal directly behind the door glass, you will have a permanent wound on your back.

PoW
Last edited by PoW on Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedUtilityTruck
PVT
PVT

PoW wrote:G741 hardtop kits with oval windows were definitely make from CCKW kits.

I had two of those, still in the crates. (Many years ago, gone now). There was still some lit in with them showing how to mount it on the WW2 truck.

The tip is there are a lot of painted wooden parts to it that allow it to sort of fit an M37. It also has a metal crosspiece that adapts the top of your windshield to fit up to the top front.

If one doesn't cut off some of the metal directly behind the door glass, you will have a permanent wound on your back.

PoW
Thanks PoW. The hard top I have is not the CCKW one.. I wish I could figure out how to post a picture.. Anyhow the rear window on mind is rectangular shaped but with rounded corners.. and about 2 feet across, and a 18" tall. I think I will pull it all apart next summer and do some trimming to get it fitting better. I finally realized I have nothing to loose, and everything to gain by getting it fitting and then the windows will work better as well.
ez8
CPL
CPL

Post by ez8 »

RedUtilityTruck wrote:Not having any luck yet capturing an image that is small enough to post here.

I can say that my hardtop must not be a factory original, as there is no way to use those tabs and locks to secure the front. Also the rear was probably attached with sheet metal screws. I am unwilling to drill holes in my truck so I will find another way to attach the rear of the top.
You can use https://imgur.com/ to host pictures of any size. Click "New post" green button on the upper left side.
Then when it uploads you can either link to the website or there is an option to get a link that will allow you to embed pictures in your post.
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

Those 'tabs' have to be removed to properly fit the arctic hardtop to the windshield frame.

The top front is then secured with several fine thread 3/8" cap screws from the inside.

Run a tap thru the captive nuts first, they have prolly never had any use before, and will really like to have the rust cleared out.

PoW