Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

investig8
CPL
CPL

Squealing bearing

Post by investig8 »

Hello Everyone,
Well, took Fiona for about a 15-20 minute drive this morning and find that I have a bearing squealing at higher RPMs, about the time to shift. It sounds almost like a throwout bearing, but it is doing is in neutral and when driving, and with the clutch in or out so I don't believe its the throwout... any suggestions that I could check?
thanks,
Dennis
Investig8
1953 M-37
1952 M-38
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Squealing bearing

Post by Elwood »

investig8 wrote:Hello Everyone,
Well, took Fiona for about a 15-20 minute drive this morning and find that I have a bearing squealing at higher RPMs, about the time to shift. It sounds almost like a throwout bearing, but it is doing is in neutral and when driving, and with the clutch in or out so I don't believe its the throwout... any suggestions that I could check?
thanks,
Dennis
By "..it is doing is in neutral..." do you mean that the noise is evident when the transmission is in neutral, the clutch is engaged, and the truck is not moving, or only when the transmission is in neutral and the truck is coasting?

You might also check for the noise when the truck is coasting and the engine is off, with the clutch engaged and the transmission in neutral, and with the clutch disengaged and the transmission in a forward gear (do not do engine-off tests for extended periods of time, as the transmission counter shaft needs to be rotating for proper lubrication)?

It's not impossible that the throw-out bearing is toast, but it could be the transmission input bearing.

Have you checked the transmission and transfer case lubricants for level and condition?
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

The number 1 squealer bearing will be in your generator/alternator.

In an M37, they spin up to 8,000 rpm at road speed.

PoW
investig8
CPL
CPL

Post by investig8 »

Generator is where I was guessing, this one has a rebuild tag from 1969... it's probably ready for some maintenance :D
Thanks
Investig8
1953 M-37
1952 M-38