Tie Rod Stud In Knuckle Flange

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

delta31
PFC
PFC

Tie Rod Stud In Knuckle Flange

Post by delta31 »

I wonder if any one here has dealt with this.

I read a old post about the tie rod stud being drawn up thru the knuckle flange so that the hole thru the stud was above the slot in the castle nut.
It sound like the poster placed a washer between the castle nut and flange. We have the same issue and the washer solved the problem with the cotter pin and castle nut but appears to have pulled the tie rod end up tight to the bottom of the flange.

We need to pull the tie road end back off and try to determine if the flange is worn. If it is, can a machine shop correct this by welding and re-cutting the tapered hole in the flange or is the only fix getting a knuckle flange
that is not worn?

I wish there was some sort of shim that could be placed on the tapered part of the stud but I think there is any thing like that. At least I have not found anything lime that.

Thanks for any comments or advice.
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Tie Rod Stud In Knuckle Flange

Post by Elwood »

I've done a similar repair on an old International backhoe by brazing into the ID of the hole, and then cleaning up the hole using a special tapered milling cutter followed by a matching reamer. The trick is to open up the tapered diameter only enough to seat the tie rod end to the correct depth. Too little and the cotter key hole in the stud won't be accessible through the castle nut, too much and you'll have to do the brazing again.

Tie rod ends are made in different tapers depending on the application, so it's important to choose the correct milling cutter and reamer for the job. These aren't inexpensive tools, so if you don't want to purchase them or aren't experienced with brazing, a good machine shop is the answer.

If the tie rod end is seating too far into the tapered hole because of wear (the end was allowed to loosen, and then wobbled in the hole), odds are that the hole is now out of round, and a shim or sleeve, if one exists, won't fix the problem.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

replacing is the quickest way most likely. you need both upper and lower halves. they are machined together
06boblee
SFC
SFC

Post by 06boblee »

Kaegi wrote:replacing is the quickest way most likely. you need both upper and lower halves. they are machined together
I did not know that. I guess that is why I got a smoking deal on a lower half?(NEW). So I cannot use this with my existing upper half, -- luckily I don't "need" the lower, but it was a great price!
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

06boblee wrote:
Kaegi wrote:replacing is the quickest way most likely. you need both upper and lower halves. they are machined together
I did not know that. I guess that is why I got a smoking deal on a lower half?(NEW). So I cannot use this with my existing upper half, -- luckily I don't "need" the lower, but it was a great price!
Your NOS lower half cannot be used with an upper half unless the halves are pinned and bolted together, and then machined so that the upper and lower bearing axes align. It's not junk, it's just going to require some skilled work before it's usable.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776