Tie Rod/Knuckle Issue

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Matthewh
PVT
PVT

Tie Rod/Knuckle Issue

Post by Matthewh »

In the process of repowering and modifying my M37, I installed new NOS tie rods that I bought from Midwest. Followed the TM, everything came out just great, except when it came time to tighten down the drivers side tie rod nut. I tightened it down, get ready to torque it, and the ball/stud spins in the tie rod end socket. Ok, I can solve this, place a bottle jack under the rod end, load it, same thing, tightens so far, then spins, almost like the nut is bottomed out on the threads.
Disassemble, check and make sure everythings in place, not missing anything, attempt again. Same result.
So, what are my options? Without proper torque, I worry ill cause a steering issue. Can I cheat, place a thick hardened washer under the nut to take up some of the space and try again? I wonder if the knuckle is worn out, as the old tie rod was "loose" in the same fashion when I removed it
Thanks
1954 Dodge M37
Turbo 6.2, TH700R4, NP205, WC rear axle, 9.00-16 STA Superlugs. Hydroboosted 4 wheel disc brakes,
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Tie Rod/Knuckle Issue

Post by ashyers »

Just did the tie rods on our truck and had the exact same issue. I went the hardened washer route. Seems the taper is the same, but threaded portion is different. So far no issues.
Matthewh
PVT
PVT

Post by Matthewh »

Good to know, thanks.
Thought it was weird, only one side was the issue, but that tie rod did look slightly different compared to the one I removed. Casting looked thicker, etc
1954 Dodge M37
Turbo 6.2, TH700R4, NP205, WC rear axle, 9.00-16 STA Superlugs. Hydroboosted 4 wheel disc brakes,
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I experienced that also, so I gave the castle nut a quick spin with my impact to cinch it, then torqued it to spec.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
m15256
CPL
CPL

Post by m15256 »

I'm having the same problem with both sides of my truck. Was just going to create a thread asking if somehow there was a supply of NOS tie rod ends out there with a slightly too small taper. I bottomed the castle nuts out and couldn't get more than 100 lbs of torque. That left the cotter pin hole far above the top of the nut. The spring and dust seals seem pretty squashed down flat. Did anyone try a piece of shim stock wrapped on the taper to lower the whole assembly just a small amount?
Thanks
RICK
M 152 CDN
M 56 (V41)
NCM
PFC
PFC

Post by NCM »

I'm reviving an old thread here as I'm running into the same issue. It's tough to torque that castle nut down when the tie rod bolt just spins. Any suggestions? Also, am I reading the TM correctly that it should be tightened to 150 ft lbs, even with that spring in there?