What grease is used inside vacuum wiper motors?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

investig8
CPL
CPL

What grease is used inside vacuum wiper motors?

Post by investig8 »

Hello All, I hope everyone is well. I am rebuilding the wiper motors on my M-37 and am wondering if anyone has experience with what grease to use when reassembling... Additionally, I was considering dielectric grease due to its protection properties on the rubber "wiper" inside the motor and wonder what the consensus it regarding that. Thanks again for the wealth of knowledge you all offer...
Dennis
Investig8
1953 M-37
1952 M-38
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Re: What grease is used inside vacuum wiper motors?

Post by Elwood »

I've read recommendations for either brake fluid (I'm assuming DOT3) or Marvel Mystery Oil. See: https://www.mafca.com/downloads/Technic ... 0Wiper.pdf

I have a factory poster for rebuilding these motors, and it recommends "Trico Wiper Lube Grease", which is no doubt unavailable. But interesting that the factory sold a "grease" and not an oil for this purpose.

I'm not sure how well dielectric grease would work. I'd prefer a rubber-specific grease, such as Girling Red.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

No point in dielectric grease, since there is nothing electrical to protect from shorts. The only "magic" in dielectric grease is that it does not conduct electricity, so you don't short out your trailer plug (for example) by putting it on the contacts if it squeezes out and forms a bridge between adjacent contacts. (It pushes out of the way enough that the male and female connectors still make good contact with each other.)
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I use dielectric grease for lots of things, one nice characteristic is that it won't soften or degrade any rubber gaskets and seals and such. Handy stuff. As for the best for Trigo wiper motors, I don't have a recommendation. I use RainX on my windshields, and rarely use my wipers anyway. NV
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

NAM VET wrote:I use dielectric grease for lots of things, one nice characteristic is that it won't soften or degrade any rubber gaskets and seals and such. Handy stuff. As for the best for Trigo wiper motors, I don't have a recommendation. I use RainX on my windshields, and rarely use my wipers anyway. NV
To clarify, my point was not that dielectric grease is bad, just that the dielectric properties are pointless in this application. In general silicone-based lubricants and white lithium grease are safe around rubber components (silicone grease does help keep rubber soft, which can be a good thing). Mineral oil based greases will degrade natural rubber.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

What about air tool oil? That oil is supposed to good for seals. We have been putting that in our brake Airpacks on the M35 and M211.
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1