Driving the M-37 in hot weather

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cliff
PFC
PFC

Driving the M-37 in hot weather

Post by Cliff »

I took my M-37 out for a drive downtown today. I wanted to see how it did in hot weather. It was 93 degrees outside here in Southern California. I have never driven it in hot weather before. I only acquired the M-37 in January of this year. I sat in a fast food restaurant drive through line and waited for the food. The truck idled the whole time. I ran a couple errands as well and the truck did great. The temperature gauge never went over 185 degrees. That’s the same temperature it ran when I drove it off road in Moab last month and the outside temperature was between 26 and 60 degrees there. Couldn’t be more pleased.
Cal_Gary

Re: Driving the M-37 in hot weather

Post by Cal_Gary »

Glad you had no issues. 93 degrees is about my limit here in Utah. After that, it's early morning or late evening runs throughout the Summer.
Veronica and I made a run on a 95 degree day a couple of years ago-had to stop for water and cups of ice. We both felt a bit ill by the time we got home.
It'll be round 82 here on Saturday so I plan on logging some leisure miles in my M.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

The M37 has an oversized cooling system, capable of dealing with any hot climate on earth (Part of the G741 development took place at Yuma Proving Grounds with 122F Summers).

The stock thermostat was 160F, with 180F for cold climes.

The little flatheads don't normally run hot as a rule.

PoW
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

PoW wrote:The M37 has an oversized cooling system, capable of dealing with any hot climate on earth (Part of the G741 development took place at Yuma Proving Grounds with 122F Summers).

The stock thermostat was 160F, with 180F for cold climes.

The little flatheads don't normally run hot as a rule.

PoW
Vapor lock seems to be an issue with some of them, even if the engine itself was running fine.

Mine was missing the heat shield around the fuel pump when I bought it. Replacing it helped reduce that problem.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

One gets more vapor lock with ethanol gas nowadays.

A wise move is go with an electric pump, just next to the tank. Also use an insulating sleeve over the line where it is under the hood.

PoW
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

vapor lock can indeed be a problem, I have a 24v electric Facet fuel pump back under the bed, but to be sure it doesn't push too much pressure, I have an adjustable pressure regulator and a dampened fuel pressure gage in the engine compartment. So I could watch on some hot days my fuel pressure go to about zero. Then I really insulated and re-routed my engine compartment fuel lines, and no problems since. Plus a Viton tipped inlet needle in my carb's fuel line entrance.

Charles T wired in a fuel pump shutoff if my oil pressure drops, like in an accident, engine turns off, fuel pump is turned off. Has a by-pass switch when the starter spins, building pressure. I added a second switch so I can prime my carb and lines before actually cranking my motor, saves wear and tear on my starter.

My rebuilt Transfer case is finally back in. I will write up that saga soon.

NV
[url=https://postimg.cc/SYk5cTwf][img]h ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Cliff
PFC
PFC

Post by Cliff »

Your engine is very clean and attractive. Why do you have a double pulley and two fan belts?
Cliff
PFC
PFC

Post by Cliff »

I should have said 4 fan belts.
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

The 4 fan belts were used on trucks with the high output generator (Radio trucks for one).
Cliff
PFC
PFC

Post by Cliff »

Thanks. That explains it. I am trying to learn all I can about these vehicles since I am new to the military vehicles hobby. I rode in these when I was in the army in the mid 60’s but back then my view of them was quite different than it is today.
Cliff
PFC
PFC

Post by Cliff »

Did the 1953 M-37 have a heat shield for the fuel pump?
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

Cliff wrote:Did the 1953 M-37 have a heat shield for the fuel pump?
I thought all M37 trucks did?

VPW has new ones for $17.50