M37 rear vinyl window

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

slk
PFC
PFC

M37 rear vinyl window

Post by slk »

Hey guys can the vinyl window on the rear of the top be cleaned so you can see out of them again. Mine is pretty yellowed. I wonder if a new piece of clear vinyl could be sewn back in?

Steve
Cal_Gary

Re: M37 rear vinyl window

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hi Steve,
If it's that yellowed you should probably have a replacement sewn in or go with a new top. The plastic window just doesn't play nice when it comes to cleaning it. Almost any rag, chamois, etc. will leave tiny scratches everywhere on the plastic. I learned that the hard way which is why I'll just go with a new top altogether when it's time to replace it.

The cost of having a replacement sewn in could approach the cost of an entire top.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

probably can't do much for yellowing, but for just cleaning I use a spray product just made for plastic convertible top windows, and soft rags. Look over things at AutoGeek, they have just about everything for detailing cars. HC, aka NAM VET
slk
PFC
PFC

Post by slk »

Cal_Gary wrote:Hi Steve,
If it's that yellowed you should probably have a replacement sewn in or go with a new top. The plastic window just doesn't play nice when it comes to cleaning it. Almost any rag, chamois, etc. will leave tiny scratches everywhere on the plastic. I learned that the hard way which is why I'll just go with a new top altogether when it's time to replace it.

The cost of having a replacement sewn in could approach the cost of an entire top.
Gary
I did check on a new top and they seam to be around 400 bucks.

I was wondering if that plastic headlight cleaner for cars might work. They claim it makes your headlight look like new but I am skeptical about that

Steve
wvcharlie
CPL
CPL

Post by wvcharlie »

I can sew in a new vinyl window for you. You would have to send it to me. It would run about $50 plus shipping back.
Charlie
Charlie
64 M38A1
65 M37
68 M725
101st ABN Veteran
Tom P
CPL
CPL

Post by Tom P »

That's Fair Enough Charlie.

To OP
I've had good luck with Mequiar's Mirror Glaze #17 clear plastic cleaner,
And Mequiar's Mirror Glaze #10 Clear Plastic Polish on all my clear plastic
From eye glasses to windows.
Tom
"47" WDX WW
"52" M37 WW
"54" Willys M38A1
"65" M35A1 WW
To Many Others
http://www.g741.org/photogallery/main.p ... temId=2019
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Indeed that's a great deal Charlie-way to step up!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

A number of folks have had good results from using - CRC 05103 QD Electronic Cleaner. They put it on a rag and wipe the plastic window and it gets clearer.

You can find it at just about any auto parts store.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05103-Electr ... 2540&psc=1
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
slk
PFC
PFC

Post by slk »

sturmtyger380 wrote:A number of folks have had good results from using - CRC 05103 QD Electronic Cleaner. They put it on a rag and wipe the plastic window and it gets clearer.

You can find it at just about any auto parts store.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05103-Electr ... 2540&psc=1
I saw a video on that on youtube. It looked pretty promising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcst2Fgw2sI

Steve
vit16
CPL
CPL

Post by vit16 »

Uff not sure about that. For sure it has to be just my opinion and it has to be a different product, but I remember dropping brake cleaner to any kind of plastic and it got white like it happens with instant glue on transparent plastics.
I would just sew a new vinil if I wore you.
Vinil got yellowish due to light and UV and it is internal as well as extrnal, that is the first sign of age, then it gets fragile and fractures I thing it is not possible to fix it.
Cliff
PFC
PFC

Post by Cliff »

Can’t help the yellowing but as far as cleaning clear plastic windows yes they can be cleaned. However do not use water and just any soft rag to do it. Instead use Meguiars Quick Detailer spray to wash the window instead of water and use a microfiber cloth to dry it. You will not scratch your window that way. Also if the window is already fine scratched because of previous washing then use Meguiars Clear Plastic Cleaner followed by their Clear Plastic Polish. Apply these products with a microfiber cloth and use a microfiber cloth to remove the residue of these products. You can purchase microfiber cloths at any auto supply store or auto detailing supply store. I have two convertibles that I have owned for over 30 years and that is how I clean their clear plastic windows and they are as clears as can be. I think you will want to replace your existing window because of the yellowing.