Ugly Truckling

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

antpreson
PVT
PVT

Ugly Truckling

Post by antpreson »

Does anyone know if the Ugly Truckling guys are still in business? I tried to contact using e-mail and no luck so far.
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Re: Ugly Truckling

Post by m-37Bruce »

Who did you try & contact, Ray himself or his east coast connection? I don't know the new guys name, I'm sure someone will chime in?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Still in business, but as he's traveling across the globe from time to time, and mostly outside the US, sometimes it takes a little while before he gets the e-mails.
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

His email is rsuiter@helitool.com. I was in touch with him recently. He got back to me a few days later after I posted my question to him.
antpreson
PVT
PVT

Post by antpreson »

Maybe one of you can answer my questions. I'm putting a 360 into my m37,

First, about the templates for cutouts on the frame and motor mount. Is there a drawing for those you could send.

Next, I'm using the later model original tranny and a Dodge 360. I'm confused about what flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, and clutch pressure plate to get. Is it all for a 360 or some for a 360 and some for a 318.

Also, I am going to use a hydraulic clutch bell housing have you had any experience with these. A local machine shop is doing the fabrication for me and as soon as I get them the clutch parts and engine they're going to start fabricating everything.

thanks,
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Antperson,

No drawing for the frame notching, just the template.

If you are using a 360 with it's originally tranny, keep all the parts intact. 318's and 360's use different balancing methods (internal vs external) and unless you have the rotating assemble re-balanced you will have problems mixing and matching 318/360 flywheels.

As for using the hydraulic bellhouisng, I used a '68 model with the integral ears (I believe the same as a Polly bellhousing). Fitting a V-8 with the larger bellhousing adds length and makes the swap much more interesting.

Will
http://m37.wawii.com/
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
antpreson
PVT
PVT

Post by antpreson »

My 360 has no flywheel on it now. It had an automatic transmission originally. I am trying to mate it to the original m37 transmission.

Is a bell housing with a hydraulic clutch longer than the one in the ugly truckling plans? If so will I have to make changes to the motor mounts or shorten the propeller shaft?
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

You will need to locate a 360 flywheel (which from what I hear is difficult), or have one made, or take a 318 unit and have the engine re-balanced.

Yes the hydraulic bellhousing is longer and different than the M's stock mechanical bell housing. If you want to keep the stock tranny, you need to follow Ray's instructions, unless you want to re-invent the wheel.
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
antpreson
PVT
PVT

Post by antpreson »

I think we're on different pages when it comes to the bell housing. Ugly's plan calls for a mechanical bell housing for a 360, not the original bell housing on the 230. Its the mechanical 360 bell housing and the 360 bell housing with the hydraulic clutch that i need to know about. Are they different sizes?

Also, the parts list says this was part of the package he used to sell: 1 ea. Clutch disc, I need to know what size that disk was or is.

It also says I need this:
1- 318 or 360 engine with mechanical clutch type bellhousing. (This is where I have a hydraulic bh.)

1- 318 or 360 V8 flywheel and pressure plate, (the flywheels are not interchangeable).(This is where I wasn't sure 318 or360)

1- 1961-1968 318 clutch pressure plate (if you are using the original gearbox). (This is where I wasn't sure 318 or360)
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Sorry, the '68 (Poly) cast in ear hydraulic bellhousing with a NP435 must be longer then the mechanical bell housing and original M tranny as I had to shift my engine further forward than Ray's kit does, and my tranny was still further rearward than his.

Correct the 318 and 360 fly wheels are NOT interchangeable, but a 318 flywheel can be re-balanced and made to work.

The clutch is specific to the tranny, spline count and diameter shaft, and is to my best memory a 10" clutch. The pressure plate is probably the same between the 318/360 as the balancing difference references I've read never mention anything about the pressure plate.

Sorry for any confusion,
Will
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
billy
SSGT
SSGT

Post by billy »

W_A_Watson_II wrote:Image

Sorry, the '68 (Poly) cast in ear hydraulic bellhousing with a NP435 must be longer then the mechanical bell housing and original M tranny as I had to shift my engine further forward than Ray's kit does, and my tranny was still further rearward than his.

Correct the 318 and 360 fly wheels are NOT interchangeable, but a 318 flywheel can be re-balanced and made to work.

The clutch is specific to the tranny, spline count and diameter shaft, and is to my best memory a 10" clutch. The pressure plate is probably the same between the 318/360 as the balancing difference references I've read never mention anything about the pressure plate.

Sorry for any confusion,
Will
the m43 i recently bought looks like it has your same setup,
is yours a kit?
and do you have that big plate that makes it hard to access the drain/fill holes on the tranny?
if i had a torch i would cut a big hole in that plate.
since nobody seems to make the 318 kits anymore i cant find information (pictures is what i mean) of these kits
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Billy,

My front mounts are a modified version of the ones Ray supplied in his kit, but my rear mounts are my own design for the hydraulic bell housing. Yes I have one of Ray's large parking brake/4WD shiftier plates on the side of the NP435 trans.

Will
http://m37.wawii.com/
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
52PLOWERWAGON
SFC
SFC

Post by 52PLOWERWAGON »

vpw has motor mounts
:)
Thanks,TRAVIS
When it comes to gambling I don't play the Powerball, I play the Powerwagon

1952 M37 FARM TRUCK
230 W/THRUSH EXHAUST, DELETED HEAT RISER AND 12 VOLT IGNITION

1941 WC RATROD
w/ 5 TON MULTIFUEL TURBO DIESEL
reallylongnickname

Post by reallylongnickname »

Anyone have telephone number for Ugly truckling?
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

I e-mailed him a few months ago and he responded in the same day. I never talked to him on the phone. His name is Ray - rsuiter@helitool.com
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1