Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

RCrombie
CPL
CPL

Leaf Spring Rebuild

Post by RCrombie »

Hi guys,

So I have the rear springs out of the truck to be cleaned up and have the centre bolts and rebound clips replaced. While cleaning the leaves up to be painted, I found several of them are cracked in the centre on one side only. (There goes all that work!)
Looks like instead of a cleaning and refitting I will be doing some replacing instead. I see that NOS spring assemblies can still be had, however I wondered if anyone has found a modern replacement option? Reason I ask is that being in Canada, shipping is going to be $$ to get two sets up here. If there’s a modern truck that uses the same size springs I might be inclined to look into that. I have a feeling there probably isn’t unless you change out the spring hangars (which I don’t plan to do) but I thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks,

Rob
Cal_Gary

Re: Leaf Spring Rebuild

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hi Rob, I got NOS rear springs years ago from John Bizal at Midwest Military. Since he's in Minnesota shipping might not kill you. Recommend giving him a call.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
RCrombie
CPL
CPL

Post by RCrombie »

After a little more looking around, I think you’re absolutely right, NOS is going to be the best option. I’ll have to give him a call after the holidays and go from there.

Merry Christmas!
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Merry Christmas!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Drew M.
CPL
CPL

Post by Drew M. »

I used International Travelall/Scout and front Jeep CJ7 springs to rebuild and lift my M37. M101 trailer springs are also useful.
RCrombie
CPL
CPL

Post by RCrombie »

Ok good to know.
I ended up taking the spring packs to the local truck shop where they cut and arched a couple new leaves to replace the broken ones. Total cost was a little over $100, so it was worth it in my opinion.
I’m curious if I will be able to notice a difference when they are back on the truck. I will also be taking out the lift block on the drivers side that compensates for the door mounted spare tire (which isn’t there on my truck)
The truck did have a noticeable lean before.