NP 200n Seal Replacement

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

NP 200n Seal Replacement

Post by NAM VET »

Everything works on my truck. It has taken a few years of often long days to make my '52 truck this way. Lots of help from this forum and Charles T who is about a hundred miles north of me, and of course the vendors we are so fortunate to have. In the last few months finished up my frozen winch, after having to winch out of mud this past fall, and now the last project (never really any "last" projects on these elderly relics) is to fix the seals on my slight leaky NP 200 transfer case. A week ago, drove about 80 rural miles to a State Park shooting range, and had to add about 4 oz of lube, and it is pretty oily under my TC. So....

I have studied the posts and pics on this forum about seals and such, and Charles Talbert as usual given me advice and precautions, so put my tuck up on blocks, and power washed the oily TC, and will begin the task today. I had planned on driving the 80 miles to my son's place down in Columbia SC to use his lift, or across town to the Auto Craft shop at Fort Jackson, but decided to do this in my driveway. I have the tools to do so.

Charles T has instructed me on how to remove the bearing support assemblies, and I will take them up to his place for him to press in the seals and put Redi-sleeves on my yokes. I will post pics of this project and report back later on how it all works out.

Wish me success.... NV, aka Hal
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Re: NP 200n Seal Replacement

Post by sturmtyger380 »

You are leaving that TC mounted on it's crossmember right? It's a heavy booger and I had to use a hydraulic transmission jack I found used, on craig's list to get mine down to floor level.

I have so much stuff on my list to do, the TC will come later. I have not looked into it. But if it is like everything else on the truck it needs to be gone through and probably rebuilt.
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

yes, not going to "drop" the TC

NV
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

A hell of a lot less work and chance of screwing something up if you drop it. It isn't that hard.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Good luck Ha! My TC weeps as well, also needing the redi-sleeves that I'll get to at some future date.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

well, the Kracken is released!! I chickened out to do the seals from below, besides, I couldn't get the brake drum seal out anyway. So.....

Made up a wooden contraption to allow me to raise the TC up a bit and then lower it down, using my floor jack. I would have bought a transmission jack but some are too short, and others too tall for my truck up on blocks.

Really nothing to it, pull a few cotter pins, remove a few bolts, and then pull back and bring it down. Spent several hours scraping and power washing it.

Actually, by myself it was near back breaking work, bloody cuts, grease in my hair, torn fingernails, Per the suggestion of others above, I did remove it with the rear cross brace intact. I got it out by myself, and don't think I can reinstall it all alone. Will take it up to Charles T's place when he has time to do the seals for me.

I am really really tired. Hal
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Yeah been there.... you gotta know your limitations regarding ability, proper tools, and stamina!
I bought a combo tranny/lift jack when it was time to replace my T-Case-just enough height with a block under the front, and stable with a ratchet strap to hold it in place.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I use a Craftsman motorcycle jack with a fabricated adapter. I can do it alone and reasonably easily alone. It ALWAYS helps to have some extra hands around.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"